On the nature of radiation of blue and green jets in laboratory discharges initiated by runaway electrons
- 32 Downloads
Spectral and amplitude-temporal parameters of radiation from different regions of discharges initiated by runaway electrons have been studied. The pulse-periodic mode of discharge formation was used. It is shown that the color of a part of jets observed during laboratory discharges is determined by radiation of electrode metal vapors. It is found that blue mini jets from an electrode with a small radius of curvature appear in the cases of stainless steel and aluminum electrodes and are caused by emissions of atomic transitions of these metals. Green mini jets observed near copper electrodes are mainly caused by CuI atomic transitions mainly at wavelengths of 521.8 and 522 nm. It is confirmed that jets of different colors appear during formation of bright spots on electrodes, as well as sparks in the discharge.
Keywordspulse-periodic discharge initiated by runaway electrons blue and green mini jets in laboratory discharges in high-pressure air nitrogen and argon
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.A. Robledo-Martinez, G. Palacios, A. Vera, and H. M. Sobral, “Modelling sprites and blue jets in the lab through the discharge of a dielectric,” in Proc. of the 31st ICPIG, July 14-19, 2013, Granada, Spain.Google Scholar
- 3.V. F. Tarasenko, D. V. Beloplotov, M. I. Lomaev, and D. A. Sorokin, “Laboratory observation of mini sprites and blue jets in discharges initiated by runaway electrons,” Opt. Atmos. Okeana 27 (11), 1017–1019 (2014).Google Scholar
- 4.D. V. Beloplotov, M. I. Lomaev, D. A. Sorokin, and V. F. Tarasenko, “Mini sprites and mini blue jets in nanosecond diffuse discharge in high-pressure nitrogen,” Dev. Applicat. Ocean. Eng. 3, 63–68 (2014).Google Scholar
- 7.Runaway Electrons Preionized Diffuse Discharges, Ed. by V. F. Tarasenko (Nova Science Publishers, New York, 2014).Google Scholar
- 10.A. Kramida, Yu. Ralchenko, and J. Reader, http://physics.nist.gov/asd. Accessed February 26, 2015.Google Scholar