Propagation of ultrashort laser pulses in dry and humid air
- 86 Downloads
Propagation of an ultrashort laser pulse in the atmosphere is considered with allowance for diffraction and dispersion properties of the atmosphere. Results of numerical simulation of the propagation of pulses with a duration from several to tens of femtoseconds in air at a room temperature are presented. A rapid spreading of such pulses under the corrected Gaussian form of the time envelope is shown. The propagation of a pulse with a negative initial chirp in dry and humid air is calculated; the chirp makes it possible to partially compensate dispersion and diffraction effects. The distance at which the pulse duration becomes minimal is derived as a function of air humidity.
Keywordsultrashort pulse air dispersion diffraction propagation humidity chirp
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 6.K. S. Shaik, “Atmospheric propagation effects relevant to optical communications,” TDA Prog. Rep. 42–94(89), 180–200 (1988).Google Scholar
- 7.Coherence and Ultrashort Pulse Laser Emission, Ed. by Dr. F.J. Duarte (InTech, Rijeka, 2010).Google Scholar
- 9.S. V. Artyshchenko, P. A. Golovinskii, and R. A. Chernov, “Reconstruction of the wavefront phase with the use of a complex neural network,” Opt. Atmos. Okeana 27(10), 932–937 (2014).Google Scholar
- 10.S. C. Wilks, J. R. Morris, J. M. Brase, S. S. Olivier, J. R. Henderson, C. Thompson, M. Kartz, and A. J. Ruggerio, “Modeling of adaptive optics-based free-space communications systems,” Proc. SPIE-Int. Soc. Opt. Eng. 4421, 121–128 (2002).Google Scholar
- 14.E. M. Mikhailov and P. A. Golovinskii, “Description of diffraction and focusing of ultrashort pulses on the basis of a nonstationary Kirchhoff-Sommerfeld method,” JETP 90 (2), 240–249 (2000).Google Scholar
- 21.J.-C. Diels, Ultrashort Pulse Phenomena (Academic Press, London, 2006).Google Scholar
- 25.M. B. Vinogradova, O. V. Rudenko, and A. P. Sukhorukov, Theory of Waves (Nauka, Moscow, 1979) [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 27.S. A. Akhmanov, V. A. Vysloukh, and A. S. Chirkin, Optics of Femstosecond Laser Pulses (Nauka, Moscow, 1988) [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 31.V. A. Astapenko, Interaction of Electromagnetic Pulses with Classical and Quantum Systems (Moscow Institute of Physics and Technology, Moscow, 2013) [in Russian].Google Scholar