Kinetics of ionization and recombination of atmospheric sodium
- 31 Downloads
Characteristic times of photoionization from the ground 3S- and excited 3P-states of the sodium atom have been calculated. A model of balance equations of ionization and recombination kinetics of atmospheric sodium has been constructed for the optically thin case based on the experimental scheme of reactions of the formation of complex ions with the participation of sodium. The model also takes into account photoprocesses for the ground and excited levels of sodium. The numerical solution of the balance equations describes the density dynamics of sodium atoms, sodium ions, and Na+H2O, Na+N2, and Na+CO2 complex ions with allowance for laser illumination at the resonance transition with a wavelength of 0.589 μm.
KeywordsResonance Transition Sodium Atom Recombination Kinetic Neutral Sodium Laser Guide Star
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Atmosphere. Handbook (Gidrometeoizdat, Leningrad, 1991), p. 509 [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 6.J. M. C. Plane, http://spaceweather.usu.edu/files/uploads/PDF/Na-Reference%20Atmosphere-revised.pdf (access date: May 16, 2013).
- 8.J. M. C. Plane, “Atmospheric chemistry of meteoric metals,” Chem. Rev. 103(2003).Google Scholar
- 11.M. Helmer and J. M. C. Plane, “A study of the reaction NaO2+O → NaO+O2: implications for the chemistry of sodium in the upper atmosphere,” Geol. Soc. Am. Bull. 98(12), 23207–23222 (1993).Google Scholar
- 13.E. Kibblewhite, http://www.amostech.com/Technical-Papers/2009/Adaptive_Optics/Kibblewhite.pdf (access date: May 16, 2013).
- 14.Spectroscopy of Gas Discharge Plasma, Ed. by S.E. Frish (Nauka, Leningrad, 1970) [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 15.E. A. Makarova and A. V. Kharitonov, Energy Distribution in the Solar Spectrum and the Solar Constant (Nauka, Moscow, 1972) [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 16.Yu. P. Raizer, Gas Discharge Physics (Nauka, Moscow, 1987) [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 17.Ya. B. Zel’dovich and Yu. P. Raizer, Physics of Shock Waves and of High-Temperature Hydrodynamical Phenomena (Nauka, Moscow, 1966) [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 18.I. I. Sobel’man, Introduction in the Theory of Atomic Spectra (Nauka, Moscow, 1977) [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 20.B. M. Smirnov, Complexions (Nauka, Moscow, 1983) [in Russian].Google Scholar