Monte Carlo simulation of angular characteristics for polarized radiation in water-drop and crystal clouds
- 51 Downloads
In the paper we present the results of computational experiments aimed to define the angular distributions for the polarized radiation scattered in a cloudy layer. The angular distributions for Stokes parameters were computed by Monte Carlo method for different optical models of water-drop and crystal clouds. The ulterior objective of the research is to develop effective techniques to study the particles shape and size by measuring angular characteristics of the scattered radiation emanating from clouds.
KeywordsLidar Angular Distribution Optical Thickness Oceanic Optic Water Drop
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.S. Chandrasekhar, Radiative Transfer (Dover, New York, 1960).Google Scholar
- 2.G. I. Marchuk, G. A. Mikhailov, M. A. Nazaraliev, R. A. Darbinian, B. A. Kargin, and B. S. Elepov, Monte Carlo Methods in Atmosperic Optics (Springer, Berlin, 1989).Google Scholar
- 3.A. Ishimaru, Wave Propagation and Scattering in Random Media (Academic, New York, 1978).Google Scholar
- 5.T. A. Sushkevich, Mathematical Models of Radiation Transfer (BINOM, Moscow, 2005) [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 6.U. G. Oppel and M. Wengenmayer, “A New Approach to Simulation of Lidar Multiple Scattering Returns and Time Resolved Diffusion Patterns of a Laser Beam Including Polarization,” in Proc. of the 14th Intern. Workshop on Multiple Scattering Lidar Experiments (MUSCLE XIV), Univ. Laval, Quebec, Canada, 4–7 Oct. 2005, (Defence R&D Canada, Valcartier, 2006), pp. 57–68.Google Scholar
- 7.M. Wengenmayer, “Monte Carlo Methods for Calculating Polarized CCD-LIDAR Returns from In-Homogenous Clouds,” PhD Thesis (Munich, 2008).Google Scholar
- 8.C. F. Bohren and D. R. Huffman, Absorption and Scattering of Light by Small Particles (Wiley, New York, 1983).Google Scholar
- 9.H. C. Van De Hulst, Light Scattering by Small Particles (Wiley, New York, 1957).Google Scholar
- 11.G. A. Mikhailov and M. A. Nazaraliev, Izv. RAN, Fiz. Atmosf. Okeana 7, 385–395 (1971).Google Scholar
- 13.U. G. Oppel and H. Krasting, “Retrieval of Microphysical Parameters from Return Signals of Airborne and Space-Based LIDARs,” in Lidar Atmospheric Monitoring, Proc. of the Eur. Symp. on Environmental Sensing III, 16–20 June 1997, Fairgrounds Munich, GFR (Envi-roSense’97; LASER’97), Ed. by J.-P. Wolf, Proc. SPIE EUROPTO Ser. 3104, 135–144 (1997).Google Scholar
- 16.D. Deirmendjian, Electromagnetic Scattering on Spherical Polydispersions (Amer. Elsevier, New York, 1969).Google Scholar