Karyogenomics of species of the genus Linum L.
- 111 Downloads
Using the molecular cytogenetic and RAPD methods of analysis, we studied genomes of 22 cultivated flax varieties and 24 wild species from six sections of the genus Linum L. The chromosome numbers were exactly determined in the karyotypes of all studied species, and all individual chromosomes were identified by the C/DAPI-banding pattern and localization of 26S rDNA and 5S rDNA. B chromosomes were discovered and studied for the first time in species of the section Syllinum Griseb. According to the data obtained, the species studied were divided into eight groups on the basis of similarity of their karyotypes, which corresponded in general to their clustering based on the RAPD results. The systematic positions and phylogenetic relationships of the flax species were verified.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Yuzepchuk, S.V., Linaceae Dumort, in Flora SSSR (Flora of the Soviet Union), Moscow, 1949, vol. 14, pp. 84–146.Google Scholar
- 2.Ockendon, D.J. and Walters, S.M., Linaceae, Flora Europaea, vol. 2: Rosaceae to Umbelliferae, Tutin T.G., Heywood, V.H., Burgos N.A., et. al., Eds., Cambridge: Cambridge Univ. Press, 1968, pp. 589–603.Google Scholar
- 3.Egorova, T.V., Family Linaceae DC. ex S.F. Gray, in Flora Vostochnoi Evropy (Flora of Eastern Europe), St. Petersburg, 1996, vol. 9, pp. 346–361.Google Scholar
- 4.Bolkhovskikh, Z.V., Grif, V.G., Zakhar’eva, O.I., and Matveeva, T.S., Khromosomnye chisla tsvetkovykh rastenii (Chromosome Numbers of the Flowering Plants), Leningrad: Nauka, 1969.Google Scholar
- 5.Chennaveeraiah, M.S. and Joshi, K.K., Karyotypes in Cultivated and Wild Species of Linum, Cytologia, 1983, vol. 48, pp. 833–841.Google Scholar
- 9.Bol’sheva, N.L., Semenova, O.Yu., Muravenko, O.V., et al., Localization of the Telomere Sequences in Chromosomes of Wild Species of Linum, Biol. Membrany, 2005, vol. 22, no. 3, pp. 227–231.Google Scholar
- 10.Muravenko, O.V., Yurkevich, O.Yu., Bolsheva, N.L., et al., Comparison of Genomes of Eight Species of Sections Linum and Adenolinum from the Genus Linum Based on Chromosome Banding, Molecular Markers and RAPD Analysis, Genetics, 2009, vol. 135, pp. 245–255.Google Scholar
- 11.Svetlova, A.A., Genus Linum L., (Linaceae DC. ex Perleb) in the Flora of Northern Eurasia: Systematics, Geography, Evolution, Extended Abstract of Cand. Sci. (Biol.) Dissertation, St. Petersburg: V.L. Komarov Inst. of Botany, Russian Acad. Sci., 2007.Google Scholar
- 12.Optasyuk, O.M., Genus Linum L. in the Flora of Ukraine, Extended Abstract of Cand. Sci. (Biol.) Dissertation, Kiev: G. Kholodnyi Inst. of Botany, National Acad. Sci. of Ukraine, 2007.Google Scholar
- 13.Svetlova, A.A., A New Section of the Genus Linum L. (Linaceae), Botanicheskiy Zh., 2006, vol. 91, no. 2, pp. 306–311.Google Scholar