Adhesion of liquid-crystalline polymer systems to substrates of varied roughness
- 45 Downloads
Evolution of the adhesion behavior of a liquid crystalline system under various conditions of the adhesion joint formation was studied. A blend of hydroxypropyl cellulose with propylene glycol was selected as a model liquid crystalline system. Influence of the substrate roughness on the adhesion of the liquid crystalline systems was studied for the first time. It was found out that the roughness influence on the adhesion characteristics of the systems studied was much more pronounced than in case of the common pressure-sensitive adhesives. High values of the debonding energies for the systems studied (up to 280–330 J/m2) were obtained. These values are similar or even exceed the values obtained for the common pressure-sensitive adhesives.
KeywordsContact Force Polymer Science Series Adhesive Joint Hydroxypropyl Cellulose Pressure Sensitive Adhesive
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Handbook of Pressure-Sensitive Adhesives and Products: Application of Pressure-Sensitive Products, Ed. by I. Benedek and M. M. Feldstein (CRC-Taylor and Fransis, Boca Raton, London, New York, 2009).Google Scholar
- 2.Handbook of Pressure-Sensitive Adhesives and Products: Technology of Pressure-Sensitive Adhesives and Products, Ed. by I. Benedek and M. M. Feldstein (CRC-Taylor and Fransis, Boca Raton, London, New York, 2009).Google Scholar
- 3.Developments in Pressure-Sensitive Products, Ed. by I. Benedek (CRC-Taylor and Fransis, Boca Raton, 2006).Google Scholar
- 4.M. M. Feldstein, Polym. Sci., Ser. A 46(11), 1265 (2004).Google Scholar
- 7.C. Creton and K. R. Shull, Handbook of Pressure-Sensitive Adhesives and Products: Fundamentals of Pressure-Sensitivity, Ed. by I. Benedek and M. M. Feldstein (CRC-Taylor and Fransis, Boca Raton, London, New York, 2009), Chap. 6.Google Scholar
- 8.C. Creton and P. Fabre, Adhesion Science and Engineering, Ed. by D. A. Dillard and A. V. Pocius (Elsevier, Amsterdam, 2002), Vol. 1, Chap. 14.Google Scholar
- 9.K. R. Brown and C. Creton, Eur. Phys. J. E: Soft Matter Biol. Phys. 9(1), 35 (2002).Google Scholar
- 13.A. Chiche, P. Pareige, and C. Creton, C. R. Acad. Sci., Ser. IV: Phys., Astrophys. 1(9), 1197 (2000).Google Scholar
- 17.C. A. Dahlquist, Treatise on Adhesion and Adhesives (Marcel Dekker, NewYork, 1969), Vol. 2.Google Scholar
- 18.G. V. Gordon and M. T. Shaw, Computer Programs for Rheologists (Carl Hanser Verlag, Munich, Vienna, New York, 1994), Chap. 6.Google Scholar
- 19.J. Stefan, Sitzungsber. Kais. Akad. Wiss Math. Nat. Wien 69(2), 713 (1874).Google Scholar