Synthesis and gas transport properties of polypentafluorostyrene
- 62 Downloads
Polypentafluorostyrene (PPFS) (M w = 1.7 × 105 Da, M w /M n = 1.6, and Т g = 110°С) has been synthesized by radical polymerization of pentafluorostyrene. The chemical structure of the polymer has been confirmed by 1H and 19F NMR data. The permeability and diffusion coefficients of gases (He, H2, O2, N2, CO2, and CH4) have been measured on a barometric setup. The permeability, diffusion, and solubility coefficients of gases have been shown to increase with the increases in the fluorine content in the repeat unit of the polymer in the polystyrene–poly(p-fluorostyrene)–PPFS series. Such behavior of transport parameters in the polymer series is associated with the growth in the fractional free volume and decrease in the cohesive energy density. The investigated polymers on the basis of styrene and its derivatives including PPFS are located in the middle of clouds of Robeson diagrams for N2/CH4, CO2/CH4, and O2/N2 and are not of interest for their separation.
Keywordspolypentafluorostyrene permeability diffusion solubility gases free volume
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.X. Y. Zhao and H. J. Liu, Polym. Int. 59, 597 (2010).Google Scholar
- 4.G. Hougham, P. Cassidy, K. Johns, and J. Davidson, Fluoropolymers: Synthesis and Applications (Plenum, New York, 1999).Google Scholar
- 5.B. Ameduri and B. Boutevin, Well-Architectured Fluoropolymers: Synthesis, Properties and Applications (Elsevier, Amsterdam, 2004).Google Scholar
- 7.T. C. Merkel, I. Pinnau, R. Prabhakar, and B. D. Freeman, Materials Science of Membranes for Gas and Vapor Separation, Ed. by Yu. Yampolskii, I. Pinnau, and B. D. Freeman (Wiley, Chichester, 2006), p. 251.Google Scholar
- 16.A. Bondi, Physical Properties of Molecular Crystals, Liquids and Gases (Wiley, New York, 1968).Google Scholar
- 17.A. A. Askadskii and V. I. Kondrashchenko, Computational Materials Science of Polymers, vol. 1: Atomic and Molecular Levels (Nauchnyi Mir, Moscow, 1999) [in Russian].Google Scholar