Study of evaporating the irradiated graphite in equilibrium low-temperature plasma
- 12 Downloads
The paper describes a problem of accumulation of irradiated graphite due to operation of uranium-graphite nuclear reactors. The main noncarbon contaminants that contribute to the overall activity of graphite elements are iso-topes 137Cs, 60Co, 90Sr, 36Cl, and 3H. A method was developed for processing of irradiated graphite ensuring the volu-metric decontamination of samples. The calculation results are presented for equilibrium composition of plasma-chemical reactions in systems “irradiated graphite−argon” and “irradiated graphite−helium” for a wide range of tem-peratures. The paper describes a developed mathematical model for the process of purification of a porous graphite surface treated by equilibrium low-temperature plasma. The simulation results are presented for the rate of sublimation of radioactive contaminants as a function of plasma temperature and plasma flow velocity when different plasma-forming gases are used. The extraction coefficient for the contaminant 137Cs from the outer side of graphite pores was calculated. The calculations demonstrated the advantages of using a lighter plasma forming gas, i.e., helium.
Keywordsirradiated graphite plasma processing decontamination
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.E.V. Bespala, A.O. Pavliuk, and S.G Kotlyarevskiy, Analysis of winger energy release process in graphite stack of shut-down uranium-graphite reactor, IOP Conf. Series: Materials Sci. and Engng, 2015, Vol. 93, P. 1–5.Google Scholar
- 4.W.E. Lee, M.I. Ojovan, M.C. Stennett, and N.C. Hyatt, Immobilisation of radioactive waste in glasses, glass composite materials and ceramics, Adv. Appl. Ceramics, 2006, Vol. 105, No. 1, P. 3–12.Google Scholar
- 5.M.G. Golovachev and V.G. Lisovskikh, Aspects of environmentally friendly technology for graphite radioactive waste processing, Problemy Radioecologii i Pogranichnyh Discyplin, 2010, Vol. 14, P. 14–314.Google Scholar
- 7.Patent RU 2546981, IPC511 G21F9/00 (2006.01). Method for processing of irradiated graphite from reactors, A.A. Romenkov, A.A. Tuktarov, O.A. Karlina, A.Y. Yurchenko,; assignee OAO “NIKIET”, No. 2013146306/07; filed on 16.10.2013; publ. 10.04.2015, Bulletin No. 10. 9 p.Google Scholar
- 9.B.G. Trusov, Program system TERRA for simulation phase and thermal chemical equilibrium in plasmachemical systems, in: Proc. 3rd Int. Symp. on Theoretical and Applied Plasmachemistry, 2002, P. 217–220.Google Scholar
- 10.G.V. Belov and B.G. Trusov, Thermodynamic Modeling of Chemically Reactive Systems, Bauman MSTU, Moscow, 2013.Google Scholar
- 11.K.M. Arefiev, V.M. Borishcansky, L.A. Vorontsova et al., Diffusion Coefficients for Alcaline Metal Vapors in Inert Gases, GUP NPO Radon, Moscow, 2007.Google Scholar
- 12.E.V. Bespala, A.O. Pavlyuk, and S.G. Kotlyarevskii, Influence of high-temperature fluid dynamics on efficiency of processing of nuclear graphite, Alternativnaya Energetika i Ekologia, 2015, No. 23, P. 19–25.Google Scholar