Shear stresses in turbulent pulsating channel flow
An experimental study of the structure of a pulsating air flow through a smooth channel was carried out. The flow pulsations were artificially imposed onto the main flow through periodic blockage of channel outlet cross section. A method for determining the additional shear stresses due to the imposed flow pulsations is proposed. The essence of the method consists in the determination of the shear stresses based on the revealed dynamics of the flow velocity field, whose measurements were carried out by the optical method from the results of digital video recording of the flow pattern. Profiles of velocities, accelerations, and additional shear stresses during a period of imposed flow pulsations were obtained.
Keywordsimposed flow pulsations flow oscillation frequency oscillation phase velocity profiles shear stress
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.B.M. Galitseisky, Yu.A. Ryzhov, and E.V. Yakush, Thermal and Hydrodynamic Processes in Oscillating Flows, Mashinostroenie, Moscow, 1977.Google Scholar
- 2.G.A. Dreitser and V.M. Kraev, Turbulent gas flow under hydrodynamic instability, Krasnoyarsk, Siberian Aerospace Academy, 2001.Google Scholar
- 10.E.P. Valueva, Pulsating turbulent flow through a pipe, Part 2, Flow under manifested compressibility of the liquid, Vestnik MEI, 2007, No. 2, P. 16–22.Google Scholar
- 11.P. Poshkas, V. Ragaishis, and V. Shimonis, Non-stationary transfer of heat in helical channels, in: Proc. IV Minsk Int. Forum of Heat and Mass Transfer, May 22-26, 2000, Minsk, 2000, Vol. 10, P. 372–381.Google Scholar
- 16.H. Schlichting, Boundary Layer Theory, 6th Edition, McGraw Hill, New York, 1968.Google Scholar
- 19.J.D. Jackson and S. He, An experimental study of pulsating pipe flow, Abst. papers subm. ICHMT Int. Symp., Lisbon, 1994, Vol. 2, P. 17.3.1–17.3.6.Google Scholar
- 20.E.K. Akhmatbekov, A.V. Bilsky, D.M. Markovich, A.A. Maslov, P.A. Polivanov, I.S. Tsyryul'nikov, and M.I. Yaroslavtsev, Application of “POLIS” PIV system for measurement of velocity fields in a supersonic flow of the wind tunnels, Thermophysics and Aeromechanics, 2009, Vol. 16, No. 3, P. 325–333.CrossRefADSGoogle Scholar
- 21.V.I. Kornilov, Three-Dimensional Wall Turbulent Flows in Corner Configurations, 2nd edition, Novosibirsk, 2013.Google Scholar