X-Ray Computed Tomography as a Method for Reproducing 3D Characteristics of Sulfides and Spinel Disseminated in Plagiodunites from the Yoko-Dovyren Intrusion
- 30 Downloads
The paper describes a methodology of applying X-ray computed tomography (CT) in studying textural–morphological characteristics of sulfide-bearing ultramafic rocks from the Yoko-Dovyren layered massif in the northern Baikal area, Buryatia, Russia. The dunites are used to illustrate the applicability of a reliable technique for distinguishing between grains of sulfides and spinel. The technique enables obtaining statistical characteristics of the 3D distribution and size of the mineral phases. The method of 3D reconstructions is demonstrated to be applicable at very low concentrations of sulfides: no less than 0.1–0.2 vol %. Differences between 3D models are determined for sulfide segregations of different size, in some instances with features of their orientation suggesting the direction of percolation and accumulation of the sulfide liquids. These data are consistent with the morphology of the largest sulfide segregations, whose concave parts adjoin the surface of the cumulus olivine and simultaneously grow into grains of the poikilitic plagioclase. Detailed information of these features is useful to identify fingerprints of infiltration and concentration of protosulfide liquids in highly crystallized cumulate systems.
Keywords:X-ray computed tomography disseminated sulfides spinel intrusion 3D distribution infiltration of sulfide liquids
The authors thank G.S. Nikolaev (Vernadsky Institute of Geochemistry and Analytical Chemistry, Russian Academy of Sciences, Moscow) and E.V. Kislov (Geological Institute, Siberian Branch, Russian Academy of Sciences, Ulan-Ude) for help with the fieldwork and with collecting and studying the samples. We also thank V. Turkov and K. Ryazantsev (Vernadsky Institute of Geochemistry and Analytical Chemistry, Russian Academy of Sciences, Moscow) for manufacturing polished sections and samples for the CT studies. Informative discussions with Steve Barnes (CSIRO Mineral Resources, Perth, Australia) have largely predetermined the aiming of this project.
This study was financially supported by the Russian Science Foundation (Grant 16-17-10129).
CONFLICT OF INTEREST
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- 1.Ariskin, A.A., Bychkov, K.A., and Nikolaev, G.S., Modeling of trace-element composition of sulfide liquid in a crystallizing basalt magma: development of the R-factor concept, Geochem. Int., 2017, vol. 55, no. 5, pp. 411–434.Google Scholar
- 7.Ariskin, A.A., Kislov, E.V., Danyushevsky, L.V., et al., Cu–Ni–PGE fertility of the Yoko–Dovyren layered massif (northern Transbaikalia, Russia): thermodynamic modeling of sulfide compositions in low mineralized dunites based on quantitative sulfide mineralogy, Mineral. Deposita, 2016, vol. 51, pp. 993–1011.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 9.Ariskin, A., Danyushevsky, L., Nikolaev, G., et al., The Dovyren intrusive complex (southern Siberia, Russia): insights into dynamics of an open magma chamber with implications for parental magma origin, composition, and Cu–Ni–PGE fertility, Lithos, 2018b, vol. 302–303, pp. 242–262.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 12.Barnes, S.-J. and Lightfoot, P.C., Formation of magmatic nickel–sulfide ore deposits and processses affecting their copper and platinum–group element contents, Hedenquist, J.W., Thompson, J.F.H., Goldfarb, R.J., and Richards, J.P., Eds., Econ. Geol., 2005, vol. 100, pp. 179–213.Google Scholar
- 20.Feldkamp, L.A. and Jesion, G., 3-D X-ray computed tomography, Rev Prog. Quant. NDE, 1986, vol. 5A, pp. 555–566.Google Scholar
- 22.Godel, B., Barnes, S.–J., and Maier, W.D., 3-D distribution of sulfide minerals in the Merensky Reef (Bushveld Complex, South Africa) and the J-M Reef (Stillwater Complex, USA) and their relationship to microstructures using X-ray computed tomography, J. Petrol., 2006, vol. 47, pp. 1853–1872.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 23.Halmshaw, R., Non-Destructive Testing, London: Edward Arnold, 2nd edition, 1991.Google Scholar
- 25.Holwell, D.A. and Keays, R.R., The formation of low-volume, high-tenor magmatic PGE–Au sulfide mineralization in closed systems: evidence from precious and base metal geochemistry of the Platinova Reef, Skaergaard intrusion, East Greenland, Econ. Geol., 2014, vol. 109, pp. 387–406.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 30.Kislov, E.V., Ioko–Dovyrenskii rassloennyi massiv (Ioko–Dovyren Layered Massif), Ulan–Ude: Izd–vo Buryatskogo nauchnogo tsentra, 1998.Google Scholar
- 31.Konnikov, E.G., Differentsirovannye giperbazit–bazitovye kompleksy dokembriya Zabaikal’ya (Precambrian Differentiated Ultrabasic–Basic Complexes of Transbaikalia), Novosibirsk: Nauka, 1986.Google Scholar
- 34.Likhachev, A.P., Platino-medno-nikelevye i platinovye mestorozhdeniya (PGE–Copper–Nickel and PGE Deposits), Moscow: Eslan, 2006.Google Scholar
- 40.Naldrett, A.J., Fundamentals of magmatic sulfide deposits, Magmatic Ni–Cu and PGE Deposits: Geology, Geochemistry and Genesis, Rev. Econ. Geol., C. Li and E.M. Ripley, Eds., Denver: Society of Economic Geologists, 2011, vol. 17, pp. 1–50.Google Scholar
- 42.Pearce, M.A., Godel, B.M., Fisher, L.A., et al., Microscale data to macroscale processes: a review of microcharacterization applied to mineral systems, Characterization of Ore-Forming Systems from Geological, Geochemical and Geophysical Studies, Gessner, K., Blenkinsop, T.G., and Sorjonen-Ward, P., Eds., Geol. Soc. London: Spec. Publ., 2017, vol. 453. https://doi.org/10.1144/SP453.3Google Scholar
- 45.Rontgen, W., Uber eine neue art von strahlen (concerning a new type of radiation), Annu. Rev. Phys. Chem., New Ser., 1989, vol. 64, pp. 1–37.Google Scholar
- 48.Smol’kin, V.F., Fedotov, Zh.A., Neradovskii, Yu.N., et al., Rassloennye intruzii Monchegorskogo rudnogo raiona: petrologiya, orudenenie, izotopiya, glubinnoe stroenie (Layered Intrusions of the Monchegorsk Ore District: Petrology, Mineralization, Isotopy, and Deep Structure), Apatity: Kol’sk. Nauchn. Ts. RAN, 2004.Google Scholar
- 50.Tolstykh, N.D., Orsoev, D.A., Krivenko, A.P., and Izokh, A.E., Blagorodnometall’naya mineralizatsiya v rassloennykh ul’trabazit–bazitovykh massivakh yuga Sibirskoi platformy (Noble Metal Mineralization in the Layered Ultrabasic–Basic Massifs of the Southern Siberian Platform), Novosibirsk: Parallel’, 2008.Google Scholar