A physicochemical model for deep degassing of water-rich magma
- 50 Downloads
Two powerful eruptions of Quizapu vent on Cerro Azul Volcano, Chile are used as examples to discuss the problem of effusive eruptions of magmas having high preeruptive volatile concentrations. A physicochemical mechanism is proposed for magma degassing, with the volatiles being lost before coming to the surface. The model is based on the interaction of magmas residing in chambers at different depths and on the difference between the solubility of water in the melt and the water equilibrium concentration in a magma body having a considerable vertical extent. The shallower chamber can accumulate the volatiles released from the magma that is supplied from the deeper chamber. An explanation is provided of the dramatic differences in the character of the 1846–1847 and 1932 eruptions, which had identical chemical-petrographic magma compositions.
KeywordsMagma Chamber Basaltic Andesite Silicic Magma Basic Magma Plinian Eruption
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Bazanova, L.I., Braitseva, O.A., Puzankov, M.Yu., and Sulerzhitskii, L.D., Catastrophic Plinian Eruptions during the Initial Phase in the Generation of a Young Cone on Avacha Volcano, Kamchatka, Vulkanol. Seismol., 2003, no. 5, pp. 20–40.Google Scholar
- 2.Kadik, A.A., Lebedev, E.B., and Khitarov, N.I., Voda v. magmaticheskikh rasplavakh (Water in Magma Melts), Moscow: Nauka, 1971.Google Scholar
- 3.Kadik, A.A., Maksimov, A.P., and Ivanov, B.V., Fizikokhimicheskie usloviya kristallizatsii i genezis andezitov (na primere Klyuchevskoi gruppy vulkanov) (Physicochemical Conditions of Crystallization and the Origin of Andesites: The Klyuchevskoi Group of Volcanoes), Moscow: Nauka, 1986.Google Scholar
- 4.Kennedy, G., Some Aspects of the Role of Water in Rock Melts, Geol. Soc. Am. Spec. Paper, 62, 1955, pp. 489–504.Google Scholar
- 5.Moroz, Yu.F. and Gontovaya, L.I., The Deep Structure of the Avacha-Koryakskii Volcanic Group, Kamchatka, Vulkanol. Seismol., 2003, no. 4, pp. 3–10.Google Scholar
- 6.Ponomareva, V.V. and Tsyurupa, A.A., On Long Flows of Acid Liquid Magma on Krashenninikova Volcano, Vulkanol. Seismol., 1985, no. 3, pp. 85–92.Google Scholar
- 7.Yaroshevskii, A.A., The Physicochemical Principles for the Behavior of a Melt + Gas Phase Magma System in the Gravity Field, Geokhimiya, 2003, no. 5, pp. 561–569.Google Scholar
- 8.Burnham, C.W., Development of the Burnham Model for Prediction of the H2O Solubility in Magmas, Rev. Mineralogy, 1994, vol. 30, pp. 123–129.Google Scholar
- 9.Doubic, Ph., Study of the Eruptive Products from the. Three Volcanoes in Kamchatka: Insights into Shallow. Magma Evolution and Dynamics, Ph. D. Thesis, SUNY at Buffalo, USA, 1997.Google Scholar
- 13.Holloway, J.R. and Blank, J.G., Application of Experimental Results to C-O-H Species in Natural Melts, Rev. Mineralogy, 1994, vol. 30, pp. 187–230.Google Scholar