A Method for Generation of Synthetic 2D and 3D Cryo-EM Images
- 80 Downloads
Cryo-electron microscopy (cryo-EM) is widely used in structural biology for resolving 3D models of particles with Angstrom resolution. The most popular techniques for such high-resolution model reconstruction are single-particle cryo-EM and cryo-electron tomography (cryo-ET). The cornerstone of both techniques is the registration of images: 2D images in cryo-EM and 3D images in cryo-ET. There are several registration methods for 2D and 3D cryo-EM images; however, it is hard to evaluate these methods due to the lack of ground truth for real data. Moreover, evaluation of image registration methods on real data is complicated by a high level of noise. In this paper, we propose image synthesis methods for generating realistic 2D single-particle cryo-EM images and 3D cryo-ET subtomogram images. The proposed algorithms model the artifacts typical of the real EM image acquisition pipeline: EM-specific noise, missing wedge effect, 2D projection, and contrast transfer function. We also present some examples of the 2D and 3D synthetic images generated.
Key words:image synthesis cryo-electron microscopy and cryo-electron tomography
This work was supported by the Russian Science Foundation, project no. 17-11-01279.
- 1.Milne, J.L.S., Borgnia, M.J., Bartesaghi, A.B., Tran, E.E.H., Earl, L.A., Schauder, D.M., Lengyel, J., Pierson, J., Patwardhan, A., and Subramaniam, S., Cryo-electron microscopy: A primer for the non-microscopist, Fed. Eur. Biochem. Soc. J., 2013, vol. 280, no. 1, pp. 28–45.Google Scholar
- 3.Tocheva, E.I., Li, Z., and Jensen, G.J., Electron cryotomography, Cold Spring Harbor Perspect. Biol., 2010, vol. 2, no. 6.Google Scholar
- 11.Mills, D.J., Vitt, S., Strauss, M., Shima, S., and Vonck, J., De novo modeling of the f420-reducing [nife]-hydrogenase from a methanogenic archaeon by cryo-electron microscopy, Elife, 2013, vol. 2.Google Scholar
- 14.Chang, Y.-W., Rettberg, L.A., Ortega, D.R., and Jensen, G.J., In vivo structures of an intact type vi secretion system revealed by electron cryotomography, Eur. Mol. Biol. Organ. Rep., 2017.Google Scholar
- 15.Vulovic, M., Modeling of Image Formation in Cryo-Electron Microscopy, Delft: Delft Univ. Technol., 2013.Google Scholar
- 18.Anoshina, N.A., Krylov, A.S., and Sorokin, D.V., Correlation-based 2D registration method for single particle cryo-EM images, Proc. Int. Conf. Image Processing Theory, Tools, and Applications (IPTA), 2017.Google Scholar