Features of the deterministic replay in the case of a minimum device set
- 27 Downloads
A technology of the deterministic replay of an execution process in virtual machines can be used for debugging, improving reliability and robustness, software development and incident investigation (including reverse engineering of malware). The paper describes an implementation of deterministic replay for guest machines based on IA-32 in the emulator QEMU. This implementation minimizes the list of replayed devices. The organization of QEMU is discussed in detail, and the techniques used in the implementation are thoroughly explained. The key performance characteristics, such as the size of log of nondeterministic events and slowdown are experimentally measured.
KeywordsVirtual Machine Direct Memory Access Program Counter Host Machine Translation Block
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.QEMU Open Source Processor Emulator, http://wiki.qemu.org/Main_PageGoogle Scholar
- 3.Tikhonov, A.Yu. and Avetisyan, A.I., The Development of Taint Analysis for Detecting of Trojans, Tr. Inst. Sistemnogo Program. Ross. Akad. Nauk, 2011, vol. 20, pp. 9–24.Google Scholar
- 4.Colp P., Dadizadeh S., Nanavati M. Deterministic Replay for Xen, Department of Computer Science. University of British Columbia. Vancouver, BC, Canada.Google Scholar
- 5.Xu, M., Malyugin, V., Sheldon, J., Venkitachalam, G., and Weissman, B., Retrace: Collecting Execution Trace with Virtual Machine Deterministic Replay, Workshop on Modeling, Benchmarking and Simulation (MoBS), 2007.Google Scholar
- 6.Batuzov, K., Dovgalyuk, P., Koshelev, V., and Padaryan, V., Two Techniques for the Organization of the Full-System Deterministic Replay Mechanism in QEMU, Tr. Inst. Sistemnogo Program. Ross. Akad. Nauk, 2012, vol. 22, pp. 77–94.Google Scholar
- 7.Dovgalyuk, P., Deterministic Replay of the Process of Running a Program on a Virtual Machine, Tr. Inst. Sistemnogo Program. Ross. Akad. Nauk, 2011, vol. 21, pp. 123–132.Google Scholar
- 8.NBench Benchmark Port to Linux/Unix, http://www.tux.org/mayer/linux/bmark.htmlGoogle Scholar
- 9.Iperf—The TCP/UDP Bandwidth Measurement Tool, https://iperf.frGoogle Scholar