A method of intermediate orbit determination based on four positions of a minor body on the celestial sphere
- 30 Downloads
A new method of computing the preliminary orbit of a celestial body based on four pairs of angle measurements has been suggested. The method makes use of preliminary orbit previously constructed by the author based on two position vectors and a corresponding time interval, taking into account the main part of the perturbations in the motion of the body under study. Using the example of constructing the orbit of the minor planet 1383 Limburgia, the results obtained using a four-position procedure of the Gaussian type based on the solution of a two-body problem have been compared with those of the new method. The comparison showed the new method to be highly efficient for perturbed motion studies. It is especially advantageous in the case of high-accuracy observation data on small orbital arcs.
PACS numbers95.10.Ce 95.10.Eq
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Berberich, A., Abgekürzte Berechnung Einer Elliptischen Planetenbahn Aus Vier Beobachtungen, Veröff. Königl. Astron. Rechen-Instituts zu Berlin, 1902, no. 20, pp. 81–86.Google Scholar
- Dubyago, A.D., Opredelenie orbit (Determination of Orbits), Moscow: GITTL, 1949.Google Scholar
- Escobal, P.R., Methods of Orbit Determination, New York: Wiley, 1965.Google Scholar
- Everhart, E., An Efficient Integrator that Uses Gauss-Radau Spacins, Dynamics of Comets: their Origin and Evolution (Proc. of the 83rd IAU Colloq.), Rome, 1984, Carusi, A. and Valsecchi, G.B., Eds., Dordrecht: Reidel, 1985, pp. 185–202.Google Scholar
- Oppolzer, Th., Lehrbuch zur Bahnbestimmung der Kometen und Planeten, Leipzig: Engelmann, 1870, vol. 1.Google Scholar
- Subbotin, M.F., Vvedenie v Teoreticheskuyu Astronomiyu (Introduction to Theoretical Astronomy), Moscow: Nauka, 1968.Google Scholar
- Shefer, V.A., The Determination of an Intermediate Perturbed Orbit from Two Position Vectors, Astron. Vestn., 2003a, vol. 37, no. 3, pp. 265–272 [Sol. Syst. Res. (Engl. Transl.), vol. 37, no. 3, pp. 243–250].Google Scholar
- Shefer, V.A., A Method for the Determination of an Intermediate Orbit from three Positions of the Small Body on the Celestial Sphere, Astron. Vestn., 2003b, vol. 37, no. 4, pp. 356–363 [Sol. Syst. Res. (Engl. Transl.), vol. 37, no. 4, pp. 326–332].Google Scholar