Thermodynamics and Structure of Micelles in Aqueous Solutions of Sodium Decyl Sulfate in the Region of the Third Critical Micelle Concentration
Using data on heat capacity of sodium decyl sulfate solutions near the third critical micelle concentration, obtained earlier via high-precision scanning calorimetry, the temperature dependences are calculated for the thermodynamic functions of the corresponding micellar transition and the components of its Gibbs free energy. It is shown that the considered intermicellar transition, interpreted as the micellar shape transforming from cylindrical to lamellar as the concentration grows, occurs at an equilibrium molality of 0.33 and a temperature of 323 K. Correlations between the thermodynamic functions of the transition with structural changes in the micelles and the key micellar parameters are discussed.
Keywords:polymorphic transition third critical micelle concentration aggregation numbers and structure of cylindrical and lamellar micelles components of the Gibbs free energy of transition
This work was supported by the Russian Foundation for Basic Research, project no. 15-29-01068 ofi_m.
- 1.S. Lang, Curr. Opin. Colloid Interface Sci, No. 7, 12 (2002).Google Scholar
- 4.V. S. Kuznetsov, V. G. Badelin, E. A. Tyunina, and V. P. Zherdev, Russ. J. Phys. Chem. A 93 (4) (2019, in press).Google Scholar
- 5.A. I. Serdyuk and R. V. Kucher, Micellar Transitions in Solutions of Surfactants (Naukova Dumka, Kiev, 1987) [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 6.N. V. Usol’tseva, Lyotropic Liquid Crystals: Chemical and Supramolecular Structure (Ivan. Gos. Univ., Ivanovo, 1994) [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 10.Ya. B. Zeldovich and A. D. Myshkis, Elements of Applied Mathematics (Khimiya, Moscow, 1967) [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 11.A. I. Rusanov, Micellization in Surfactant Solutions (Khimiya, St. Petersburg, 1992) [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 12.K. Holmberg, B. Jonsson, B. Kronberg, and B. Lindman, Surfactants and Polymers in Aqueous Solution (Wiley, New York, 2002; BINOM, Moscow, 2007).Google Scholar
- 14.Y. N. Israelachvili, Intermolecular and Surface Forces, 2nd ed. (Academic, London, 1992).Google Scholar
- 16.V. P. Vasil’ev, Thermodynamic Properties of Electrolyte Solutions (Vysshaya Shkola, Moscow, 1982) [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 17.I. E. Tamm, Foundations of Electricity (Nauka, Moscow, 1976) [in Russian].Google Scholar