Mechanism of Surface Reinforcement of Steels by Nanocarbon Materials Using Laser Heating
- 30 Downloads
The mechanism of the surface reinforcement and wear resistance of steel products are studied as a result of creating the strengthening layers with the nanocarbon using the laser heating. Laser surface treatment using soot remaining after fullerene extraction leads to a more than fivefold increase in the microhardness (up to 1086 HV) and a decrease in the friction coefficient by 20–30%. The conclusion that the reinforcement mechanism involves the formation of eutectic, cementite, martensite, the cellular substructure, and grain refinement is carried out based on metallographic studies of the strengthened layers of technically pure iron with a thickness of 20–70 μm.
Keywordslaser treatment nanocarbon materials technically pure iron microhardness microstructure wear resistance friction coefficient
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 5.O. P. Chernogorova, E. I. Drozdova, V. M. Blinov, and I. N. Ovchinnikova, “Effect of pressure on the formation superelastic hard particles in a metal–fullerene system and the tribological properties of composite materials reinforced with such particles,” Russ. Metall. (Metally) 2011, 221–227 (2011).CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 6.O. P. Chernogorova, E. I. Drozdova, V. M. Blinov, and N. A. Bul’enkov, “Structure and properties of the superelastic and hard carbon particles reinforcing wearresistant composite materials obtained from mixtures of iron and fullerene powders under pressure,” Nanotechn. Russia 3, 344–351 (2008).CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 8.V. D. Sadovskiy, V. M. Schastlivtsev, T. I. Tabatchikova, and I. L. Yakovleva, Laser Heating and Structure of Steel: Atlas of Microstructures (Ural. Otd. Akad. Nauk SSSR, Sverdlovsk, 1989).Google Scholar
- 9.V. M. Matyunin, A. Yu. Marchenkov, and A. N. Demidov, “Study of size-effect influence on results of hardness determination for different scale levels,” Tekhnol. Metallov, No. 6, 53–54 (2013).Google Scholar
- 11.N. N. Rykalin, A. A. Uglov, I. V. Zuev, and A. N. Kokora, Laser and Electron-Beam Treatment of Materials. A Handbook (Mashinostroenie, Moscow, 1985) [in Russian].Google Scholar