Formation of nickel carbide in the course of deformation treatment of Ni-C mixtures
Nonequilibrium Ni(C) solid solutions supersaturated with carbon to 10.2 at % were synthesized by mechanochemical method. An analysis of diffraction patterns showed that the formation of Ni(C) solid solutions is accompanied by an increase in the probability of appearance of deformation stacking faults. When the carbon content in the initial Ni-C mixtures is above 20 at %, the fcc Ni(C) solid solution resulting from the mechanical synthesis transforms into the metastable Ni3C nickel carbide with a hexagonal structure. The thermal stability of nonequilibrium Ni(C) solid solutions was determined. The solid solutions formed from the mixtures with carbon contents from 7 to 15 at % undergo partial decomposition accompanied by the carbide precipitation upon heating to 300°C. The decomposition of the metastable Ni3C carbide starts at a temperature Ts ~ 464.8°C; the thermal effect is —ΔH=10–13 kJ/mol. The effective radius of carbon atoms in the Ni(C) solid solutions was determined; it is equal to Rceff=0.061 nm.
Key wordsmechanochemical synthesis mechanical alloying nickel carbide stacking faults
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.O. M. Gur’yanova, E. F. Kukovitskii, S. G. L’vov, et al., “Electron Diffraction Investigation of Catalytic Particles at the Tips of Carbon Nanotubes,” Fiz. Tverd. Tela 44(3), 455–456 (2002) [Phys. Sol. St. 44 (3), 473–475 (2002)].Google Scholar
- 4.Z. Krawietr, B. Wehner, T. Sebald, and R. Dietsch, “Investigation of Thermal Aging of Ni/C-Multilayers by X-ray Methods,” Mater. Sci. Forum 166–169, 1247–1253 (1994).Google Scholar
- 7.S. I. Ryabtsev, V. F. Bashev, A. I. Belkin, and A. S. Ryabtsev, “Structure and Properties of Ion-Plasma Deposited Ni-C Films in a Metastable State,” Fiz. Met. Metalloved. 102(3), 326–329 (2006) [Phys. Met. Metallogr. 102 (3), 305–309 (2006)].Google Scholar
- 9.Phase Diagrams of Binary Metal Systems: A Handbook Ed. by N. P. Lyakishev (Mashinostroenie, Moscow, 1997) [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 10.T. P. Ershova, D. S. Kamenetskaya, and L. D. Il’ina, “Calculation of a T-P-N Phase Diagram of the Ni-C System up to 100 kbar,” Izv. Akad. Nauk SSSR, Met., No. 4, 201–210 (1981).Google Scholar
- 13.H. J. Goldschmidt Interstitial Alloys (Butterworths, London, 1967; Mir, Moscow, 1971).Google Scholar
- 16.S. S. Gorelik, Yu. A. Skakov, and L. N. Rastorguev, X-ray Diffraction and Electron-Microscopic Analysis (MISIS, Moscow, 2002) [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 18.JCPDS (Joint Committee on Powder Diffraction Standards) 4-0850.Google Scholar
- 20.C. Ruth and M. Turpin, “Determination of Eutectic Composition of Binary Alloys of Nickel-Carbon and Cobalt-Carbon,” C. R. Acad. Sci. 264, 928–929 (1967).Google Scholar
- 21.Ya. D. Vishnyakov, Stacking Faults in Crystal Structures (Metallurgiya, Moscow, 1970) [in Russian].Google Scholar