Jurassic dinosaurs of Transbaikalia and prospects of searching for them in Mongolia
Three Transbaikalian localities of dinosaur remains confined to concretions of the Tarbagatai Coal Field, coal deposits of the Arbagarskaya deposits, and tuffaceous sedimentary deposits of the Ukureiskaya Formation of the Olov Depression (Kulinda locality) are considered. In concretions, dinosaur fossils co-occur with fragmentary and complete skeletons of Salmo and Palaeoniscidae and tuffaceous sedimentary beds of volcanic lakes have yielded fossils of temporary inhabitants, such as notostracans, conchostracans, izophlebiid dragonflies, ostracods, and plants with index species of the Late Jurassic Unda–Daya Assemblage. These characteristics can be used in searching for Jurassic dinosaur burials in Mongolia. The horizons with concretions are known in the Tormkhon, Tevsh, Unduruhin, Anda-Khuduk, and Ulanereg formations. Remains of notostracans and izophlebiid dragonflies were recorded in the Ulugei Formation and terrigenous deposits of the Khalgyn-Ula locality and mass burials of large izophlebiid dragonflies and Palaeoniscidae have occur in the Dorogot Formation.
Keywordsdinosaurs tadpole shrimps conchostracans izophlebiid dragonfly Palaeoniscidae coal-bearing deposits concretions tuffaceous sediments Jurassic Tormkhon Tevsh Unduruhin Anda-Khuduk Ulanereg Ulugey Dorogot Transbaikalia
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Geologiya Mongol’skoi Narodnoi Respubliki (Geology of the Mongolian National Republic), vol. 1: Stratigrafiya (Stratigraphy), Moscow: Nedra, 1973.Google Scholar
- Khosboyar, P., Stratigraphy of Mesozoic volcanogenic–sedimentary structures of the Nilginskaya Depression (eastern Mongolia), in Mongol Orny Mezozoin Khurdas, Ulaanbaatar, 2012, pp. 56–65.Google Scholar
- Khosboyar, P. and Popov, Yu.A., Mesozoic deposits of the Khootiin-Khotgor Depression in eastern Mongolia, in Mongol Orny Mezozoin Khurdas, Ulaanbaatar, 2012, pp. 50–55.Google Scholar
- Kolesnikov, Ch.M., Stratigraphy of the continental Mesozoic of Transbaikalia, in Stratigrafiya i paleontologiya mezozoiskikh i kainozoiskikh otlozhenii Vostochnoi Sibiri i Dal’nego Vostoka (Stratigraphy and Paleontology of the Mesozoic and Cenozoic of Eastern Siberia and the Far East), Moscow–Leningrad: Nauka, 1964, pp. 5–138.Google Scholar
- Krassilov, V.A., Paleoekologiya nazemnykh rastenii: osnovnye printsipy i metody (Paleoecology of Terrestrial Plants: Major Principles and Methods), Vladivostok, 1972.Google Scholar
- Oleinikov, A.N., Stratigrafiya i fillopody yury i mela Vostochnogo Zabaikal’ya (Stratigraphy and Phyllopods of the Jurassic and Cretaceous of Eastern Transbaikalia), Moscow: Nedra, 1975, vol. 138.Google Scholar
- Riabinin, A.N., Note on dinosaurs from Transbaikalia, Tr. Geol. Muz. Petra Vel. Imperat. Akad. Nauk., 1915, vol. 8, pp. 133–142.Google Scholar
- Sinitsa, S.M., Yura i nizhnii mel Tsentral’noi Mongolii (Jurassic and Lower Cretaceous of Central Mongolia), Moscow: Nauka, 1993.Google Scholar
- Sinitsa, S.M., Transitional horizons in the stratigraphy of the Upper Mesozoic of Transbaikalia, Vest. Chit. Gos. Univ., 2011, vol. 70, no. 3, pp. 98–103.Google Scholar
- Sinitsa, S.M., Prospects of searching for Jurassic dinosaurs in Transbaikalia and Mongolia, in Paleontologiya Tsentral’noi Azii i sopredel’nykh regionov (Paleontology of Central Asia and Adjacent Regions), Moscow: Paleontol. Inst. Ross. Akad. Nauk, 2014, pp. 66–68.Google Scholar
- Yanin, B.T., Osnovy tafonomii (Fundamentals of Taphonomy), Moscow: Nedra, 1983.Google Scholar