Water stress assessment of cork oak leaves and maritime pine needles based on LIF spectra
- 111 Downloads
The aim of the present work was to develop a method for the remote assessment of the impact of fire and drought stress on Mediterranean forest species such as the cork oak (Quercus suber) and maritime pine (Pinus pinaster). The proposed method is based on laser induced fluorescence (LIF): chlorophyll fluorescence is remotely excited by frequency-doubled YAG:Nd laser radiation pulses and collected and analyzed using a telescope and a gated high sensitivity spectrometer. The plant health criterion used is based on the I 685/I 740 ratio value, calculated from the fluorescence spectra. The method was benchmarked by comparing the results achieved with those obtained by conventional, continuous excitation fluorometric method and water loss gravimetric measurements. The results obtained with both methods show a strong correlation between them and with the weight-loss measurements, showing that the proposed method is suitable for fire and drought impact assessment on these two species.
KeywordsRelative Water Content Laser Induce Fluorescence Plant Efficiency Analysis Needle Sheath Kautsky Effect
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.M. N. Berberan-Santos, E. N. Bodunov, and B. Valeur, Luminescence Decays with Underlying Distributions of Rate Constants: General Properties and Selected Cases, in Fluorescence of Supermolecules, Polymers and Nanosystems, Ed. by M. N. Berberan-Santos (Springer, Berlin, 2008), p. 67.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 5.V. V. Zuev, N. E. Zueva, and M. V. Grishaev, J. Atm. Ocean. Opt. 22, 42 (2009).Google Scholar
- 12.A. I. Grishin, G. M. Krekov, M. M. Krekova, G. G. Matvienko, A. Ya. Sukhanov, V. I. Timofeev, N. L. Fateyeva, and A. A. Lisenko, J. Atm. Ocean. Opt. 20, 328 (2007).Google Scholar
- 14.N. L. Fateyeva, A. V. Klimkin, O. V. Bender, A. P. Zotikova, and M. S. Yamburov, J. Atm. Ocean Opt. 19, 189 (2006).Google Scholar
- 19.M. Havaux and R. Strasser, Plasticity of the Stress Tolerance of the Photosystem II in Vivo, in Research in Photosynthesis, Ed. by N. Murata (Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht, 1992), Vol. IV, p.149.Google Scholar
- 24.J. Marques da Silva and M.C. Arrabaça, Photosynthetica 26, 253 (1992).Google Scholar
- 26.J. Marques da Silva and M. C. Arrabaça, Physiologia Plantarum 27, 83 (2004).Google Scholar
- 32.R. J. Strasser, A. Srivastava, and M. Tsimilli-Michael, The Fluorescence Transient as a Tool to Characterize and Screen Photosynthetic Samples, in Probing Photosynthesis: Mechanisms, Regulation and Adaptation, Ed. by M. Yunus, U. Pathre, and P. Mohanthy (CRC Press, Boca Raton, 2000), p. 445.Google Scholar
- 33.H. D. Barrs, Determination of Water Deficits in Plant Tissues, in Water Deficits and Plant Growth, Ed. by T. T. Kozlowski (Academic, New York, 1968), Vol. 1, p. 235.Google Scholar