Changes in Gene Expression and DNA Methylation of Evolutionarily Young AluY Repeats during Apoptosis of Human K562 Erythro-Myeloblastic Leukemia Cells
- 2 Downloads
Using a human K562 erythromyeloblastoid cell culture, we demonstrated changes in gene expression of Alu repeats, members of evolutionarily young AluY subfamilies (human mobile SINE elements), and in the DNA methylation level of AluYb8 during camptothecin (CAM)-induced apoptosis. The AluY-RNA level increased about 10 times 24 h and 20 times 48 h after exposure to CAM vs. proliferating cells. Using methylation-specific (MSP) PCR and high-resolution melting (HRM), we showed that the overall AluYb8-DNA methylation level remained intact throughout the apoptotic stages. Using DNA sequencing after bisulfite conversion, we established that at the CpG site, located in the A'-box of the AluYb8 gene promoter, the methylation level decreased significantly during different apoptotic stages. Apparently, it is reduced CpG methylation at the A'-box of the AluYb8 gene promoter, discovered in this work, that is one of the possible factors which account for increased expression of AluY repeats during K562 cell apoptosis. We assume that increased gene expression of evolutionarily young AluY repeats plays an important role in the implementation of the cellular apoptotic pathway.
KeywordsSINE sequences Alu repeats RT-PCR DNA sequencing following bisulfite conversion DNA methylation programmed cell death (apoptosis)
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Nikitina, T.V. and Tishchenko, L.I., Role of expression of SINE mobile elements and RNA polymerase III-transcribed genes in the regulation of intracellular processes, a review, Molek. Biol., 2008, vol. 42 (2), pp. 547–558.Google Scholar
- 2.Makarova, Yu.A. and Kramerov, D.A., Non-coding RNAs, a review, Biokhim., 2007, vol. 72, iss. 11, pp. 1427–1448.Google Scholar
- 3.Luo, Y., Lu, X., and Xie, H., Dynamic Alu methylation during normal development, aging, and tumorigenesis, BioMed Res. Int., 2014. http://dx.doi. org/10.1155/2014/784706Google Scholar
- 6.Nikitina, T.V. and Tishchenko, L.I., Role of genetic element SINE expression in apoptosis of the cell, New Developments in Cell Apoptosis Research, New York, 2007, Inc. 159–178.Google Scholar
- 7.Kabanov, I.N. and Tishchenko, L.I., Features of tRNA genes and young Alu-repeat subfamilies expression in human U937 tumor cells in apoptosis, Tsitol., 2015, vol. 9 (5), pp. 356–363.Google Scholar
- 8.Kabanov, I.N. and Tishchenko, L.I., Changes in DNA methylation of repeated sequences and single-copy genes in oncological and some other human diseases, Vestnik SPbGU, 2014, ser. 3 (3), pp. 62–83.Google Scholar
- 10.Oler, A.J., Traina-Dorge, S., Derbes, R.S., Canella, D., Cairns, B.R., and Roy-Engel, A.M., Alu expression in human cell lines and their retrotranspositional potential, Mobile DNA, 2012, vol. 3 (11), pp. 1–6.Google Scholar
- 16.Student, The probable error of a mean, Biometrika, 1908, vol. 6, pp. 1–25.Google Scholar
- 23.Daskalos, A., Nikolaidis, G., Xinarianos, G., Savvari, P., Cassidy, A., Zakopoulou, R., Kotsinas, A., Gorgoulis, V., Field, J.K., and Liloglou, T., Hypomethylation of retrotransposable elements correlates with genomic instability in non-small cell lung cancer, Int. J. Cancer, 2009, vol. 124, pp. 81–87.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar