High-rate deformation and fracture of fiber reinforced concrete
- 188 Downloads
This paper presents the results of dynamic compression and splitting-tensile tests of cardiff fiber reinforced concrete (CARDIFRC) composite using the Kolsky technique and its modification. The strength and deformation characteristics of fiber-reinforced concrete were determined experimentally at high strain rates. The mechanical characteristics were found to depend on the strain rate and stress rate. A uniform interpretation of the rate effects of fracture of the tested fiber-reinforced concrete is given on the basis of a structural-temporal approach. It is shown that the time dependences of both the compressive and tensile strengths of fiber reinforced concrete are well calculated using the incubation time criterion.
Keywordsfiber-reinforced concrete Kolsky technique compression splitting fracture incubation time dynamic strength
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.S. D. P. Benson, D. Nicolaides, and B. L. Karihaloo, “CARDIFRC-Development and Mechanical Properties. Pt 2. Fibre Distribution,” Mag. Concrete Res. 57, 412–432 (2005).Google Scholar
- 5.Yu. V. Petrov and A. A. Utkin, “On the Dependence of the Dynamic Strength of the Loading Rate,” Fiz.-Khim. Mekh. Mater., No. 2, 38–42 (1989).Google Scholar
- 9.Yu. V. Petrov, “’Quantum Nature of the Dynamic Fracture of Brittle Solids,” Dokl. Akad. Nauk SSSR 321(1), 66–68 (1991).Google Scholar
- 10.Yu. V. Petrov, “Incubation Time Criterion and the Pulsed Strength of Continuous Media: Fracture, Cavitation, Electrical Breakdown,” Dokl. Akad. Nauk 395(5), 621–625 (2004).Google Scholar
- 11.T. Rodriguez, C. Navarro, and V. Sanchez-Galvez, “Splitting Tests: An Alternative to Determine the Dynamic Tensile Strength of Ceramic Materials,” J. Physique, IV 4(C8), 101–106 (1994).Google Scholar
- 12.A. M. Bragov, L. Kruszka, and A. K. Lomunov, “Static and Dynamic Properties of Dry and Wet Cement Mortar,” in Proc. of the 7th Int. Symp. on Brittle Matrix Composites “BMC-7”, Warsaw (Poland), October 13–15, 2003 (Woodhead, 2003), pp. 67–74.Google Scholar
- 13.A. M. Bragov, B. Karihaloo, A. Yu. Konstantinov, et al., “Investigation of the Mechanical Properties of Fiber-Reinforced Concrete Using the Kolsky Technique and Its Modifications,” Vestn. Nizhegor. Gos. Univ., No. 4, 123–129 (2011).Google Scholar
- 14.Y. V. Petrov, V. I. Smirnov, S. I. Krivosheev, et al., “Pulse Loading of Rocks,” in VII Khariton’s Topical Scientific Readings, Proc. of the Int. Conf., Sarov Russia, March 14–18, 2005 (VNIIEF, Sarov, 2005), pp. 189–190.Google Scholar