Spall Strength of Amorphous Carbon (Glassy Carbon) under Shock Loading in the Region of Its Anomalous Compressibility
- 6 Downloads
The spall strength of SU-2000 amorphous glassy carbon has been studied in two series of shock experiments. The one-dimensional shock loading of samples has been performed by the impact of flat impactors. The primary experimental information includes velocity profiles of the rare surface of flat samples making contact with air or Plexiglas. The measurements have been performed in the range of anomalous compressibility of glassy carbon from ~−0.3 to +3 GPa. The spall strength of glassy carbon has been found to be −0.23(7) GPa. The theoretical estimate of the spall strength of SU-2000 glassy carbon is −2.4 GPa.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Z. Zhao, E. F. Wang, H. Yan, Y. Kono, B. Wen, L. Bai, F. Shi, J. Zhang, C. Kenney-Benson, C. Park, Y. Wang, and G. Shen, Nat. Commun. 6, 1 (2015).Google Scholar
- 5.G. I. Kanel’, A. M. Molodets, and A. N. Dremin, Fiz. Goreniya Vzryva, No. 6, 906 (1977).Google Scholar
- 7.A. M. Molodets, V. I. Lebedev, and A. N. Dremin, Fiz. Goreniya Vzryva 25, 101 (1989).Google Scholar
- 9.A. M. Molodets, Khim. Fiz. 16 (7), 113 (1997).Google Scholar
- 11.A. Kelly, Strong Solids (Clarendon, Oxford, 1973), Chap. 1.Google Scholar
- 16.A. S. Fialkov, Carbon, Interlayer Compounds, and Carbon-Based Composites (Aspekt, Moscow, 1997) [in Russian].Google Scholar