Morphology, structure, and mechanical properties of the surface of PbTe crystals after etching with H2O2–HBr–ethylene glycol solutions
- 29 Downloads
The morphology and microstructure of PbTe surfaces polished with H2O2–HBr–ethylene glycol solutions have been studied by atomic force and electron microscopy techniques. The surface of PbTe single crystals after chemical–mechanical and dynamic chemical polishing with bromine-releasing etchants has been examined by optical microscopy and profilometry. The structural perfection and composition of the PbTe surface after chemical treatment have been determined by X-ray diffraction, scanning electron microscopy, and Raman spectroscopy. The mechanical properties of the crystals have been studied using microindentation. Using X-ray microanalysis, we have monitored the concentrations of the host elements (Pb and Te) and possible contamination with chemical compounds present in the etchants and the solutions used to rinse the samples.
Keywordschemical etching lead telluride atomic force microscopy micro-Raman spectroscopy microindentation X-ray diffraction analysis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Lyubchenko, A.V., Sal’kov, E.A., and Sizov, F.F., Fizicheskie osnovy poluprovodnikovoi infrakrasnoi fotoelektroniki (Physical Principles of Infrared Semiconductor Photoelectronics), Kiev: Naukova Dumka, 1984.Google Scholar
- 2.Shperun, V.M., Freik, D.M., and Zapukhlyak R.I., Termoelektrika telurydu svyntsyu ta yogo analogiv (Thermoelectric Properties of Lead Telluride and Its Analogs), Ivano-Frankivsk: Plai, 2000.Google Scholar
- 3.Meglei, D.F., Dyntu, M.P., and Donu, S.V., Indium impurity effect on growth and structural perfection of lead–tin telluride wire crystals, Mold. J. Phys. Sci., 2010, vol. 9, no. 2, pp. 156–158.Google Scholar
- 4.Dughaish, Z.H., Lead telluride as a thermoelectric material for thermoelectric power generation, Phys. Rev. B: Condens. Matter Mater. Phys., 2002, vol. 322, nos. 1–2, pp. 205–223.Google Scholar
- 6.Malanych, G.P., Tomashyk, Z.F., Tomashyk, V.M., Stratiychuk, I.B., Safryuk, N.V., and Klad’ko, V.P., Chemical–mechanical polishing of single crystals of PbTe and Pb1–xSnxTe solid solutions in H2O2–HBr–ethylene glycol etchants, Nauk. Visn. Chernivtsi Nats. Univ. Khim., 2013, no. 640, pp. 72–78.Google Scholar
- 7.Malanych, G.P., Tomashyk, V.M., Tomashyk, Z.F., Stratiychuk, I.B., Lytvyn, P.M., Lytvyn, O.S., and Kopyl, O.I., Ukr. Patent 95 348, Byull. Izobret., 2014, no. 24.Google Scholar
- 8.Tomashyk, Z.F., Malanych, G.P., Tomashyk, V.N., Stratiychuk, I.B., Pashchenko, G.A., and Kravtsova, A.S., Polishing of PbTe and Pb1–xSnxTe single crystals with H2O2–HBr–ethylene glycol bromine-releasing etchants, Vopr. Khim. Khim. Tekhnol., 2012, no. 4, pp. 120–125.Google Scholar
- 9.Aleksandrova, O.A. and Moshnikov, V.A., Fizika i khimiya materialov optoelektroniki i nanoelektroniki: Praktikum (Physics and Chemistry of Optoelectronic and Nanoelectronic Materials: A Practical Course), St. Petersburg: SPbGETU LETI, 2007.Google Scholar
- 10.Skupov, V.D., Skupova, T.N., and Tsypkin, G.A., USSR Patent 1 702 242, Byull. Izobret., 1991, no. 48.Google Scholar
- 12.Pop, S.S. and Sharodi, I.S., Fizychna elektronika (Physical Electronics), Lviv: Evrosvit, 2001.Google Scholar
- 14.Wu H., Cao C., Si J., Xu T., Zhang H., Wu H., Chen J., Shen W., and Dai N., Observation of phonon modes in epitaxial PbTe films grown by molecular beam epitaxy, J. Appl. Phys., 2007, vol. 101, no. 10, paper 103 505.Google Scholar