Behavior of titanium diboride nanofilms and nanopowders in hydrochloric acid solutions
- 22 Downloads
We have studied the behavior of TiB2 nanofilms and nanopowders in HCl solutions of various concentrations (1.2 to 12.0 mol/L). The TiB2 films were grown by nonreactive magnetron sputtering in an additional magnetic field or without it. The TiB2 powder was prepared by reacting fine-particle titanium and boron in a Na2B4O7 ionic melt. The samples were characterized by X-ray diffraction, electron microscopy, energy dispersive X-ray spectroscopy, and atomic force microscopy. The reactions with the acid solutions were studied by atomic absorption spectroscopy. The results demonstrate that a magnetic field applied during the sputtering process improves the corrosion resistance of the films. Titanium diboride powders consisting of rounded particles are shown to have the highest resistance to dissolution in hydrochloric acid.
Keywordstitanium diboride thin films powders additional external magnetic field corrosion hydrochloric acid roughness
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Andrievskii, R.A., Nanostructured titanium, zirconium, and hafnium diborides: synthesis, properties, size effects, and stability, Usp. Khim., 2015, vol. 84, no. 5, pp. 540–554.Google Scholar
- 3.Diagrammy sostoyaniya dvoinykh metallicheskikh sistem: Spravochnik (Phase Diagrams of Binary Metallic Systems: A Handbook), Lyakishev, N.P., Ed., Moscow: Mashinostroenie, 1996, vol. 1.Google Scholar
- 5.Dranenko, A.S., Lavrenko, V.A., and Talash, V.N., Corrosion resistance of TiB2 nanostructured films in a 3% NaCl solution, Poroshk. Metall. (Kiev), 2010, nos. 3–4, pp. 63–68.Google Scholar
- 6.Pan, X., Shen, K., Xu, J., and Liu, L., Preparation and corrosion resistance of amorphous–nanocrystalline films, Chin. J. Electron Devices, 2012, vol. 35, pp. 135–138.Google Scholar
- 12.Andrievski, R.A. and Kalinnikov, G.V., Synthesis and properties of TiB2/TiN and TiB2/B4C films, Nanostructured Thin Films and Nanodispersion Strengthened Coatings, Voevodin, A.A. et al., Eds., Dordrecht: Kluwer Academic, 2004, pp. 175–182.Google Scholar
- 13.Eksperimental’nye metody v adsorbtsii i molekulyarnoi khromatografii (Experimental Techniques in Adsorption and Molecular Chromatography), Kiselev, A.V. and Dreving, V.P., Eds., Moscow: Mosk. Gos. Univ., 1973.Google Scholar