Structure of heterosystems formed by a SnO2 film and island metal (Ag, Au, or Pd) condensate
- 56 Downloads
We have studied the phase composition and microstructure of thin tin(IV) oxide films surfacemodified with silver, gold, and palladium nanoislands. Using high-energy electron diffraction, we have shown for the first time that the thermal oxidation of the Sn films leads to the formation of nanocrystalline multiphase SnO2 films in which the major phase is orthorhombic. Also present are (in order of decreasing content) tetragonal and cubic phases. Blocks of SnO2(O) subgrains with 〈101〉 texture contain dislocations and stacking faults, which are interpreted as layers of the tetragonal phase. It has been shown that vacuum condensation makes it possible to modify the surface of SnO2 films with noble metals and obtain homogeneous nanoisland coatings characterized by a unimodal, uniform island size distribution.
Keywordsgas sensors semiconducting metal oxides microstructure thin films tin(IV) oxide metal nanoislands high-energy electron diffraction transmission electron microscopy
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Myasnikov, I.A., Sukharev, V.Ya., Kupriyanov, L.Yu., and Zav’yalov, S.A., Poluprovodnikovye sensory v fizikokhimicheskikh issledovaniyakh (Semiconductor Sensors in Physicochemical Studies), Moscow: Nauka, 1991.Google Scholar
- 9.Abbaszadeha, D., Ghasempoura, R., Rahimi, F., Iraji zad, A., Effective factors on methane sensing of tin-oxide activated by palladium in sol–gel process, Sens. Transducers J., 2006, vol. 73, pp. 819–825.Google Scholar
- 14.Weisz, P.B., Effects of electronic charge transfer between adsorbate and solid on chemisorptions and catalysis, J. Chem. Phys., 1953, vol. 21, pp. 1526–1531.Google Scholar
- 16.Rumyantseva, M.N. and Gaskov, A.M., Chemical modification of nanocrystalline metal oxides: influence of defect structure and surface chemistry on gassensing properties, Izv. Akad. Nauk, Ser. Khim., 2008, vol. 57, no. 6, pp. 1086–1105.Google Scholar
- 19.Fizicheskie velichiny. Spravochnik (Physical Quantities: A Handbook), Grigor’ev, I.S. and Meilikhov, E.Z., Eds., Moscow: Energoatomizdat, 1991.Google Scholar
- 20.Powder Diffraction File, Alphabetical Index Inorganic Compounds, 1977, JCPDS.Google Scholar