Effect of Gravity on Premixed Methane–Air Flames
Premixed flames under different levels of gravity were studied experimentally and numerically. The experiments were carried out in the Bremen Drop tower. The object of investigation were conical premixed rich, lean, and stoichiometric CH4–air flames with wide range of flow regimes, at Reynolds numbers of 600–2000, which were generated on specially designed cone nozzle and premixed cylinder chamber with grids and beads. Planar laser-induced fluorescence OH radicals and high-speed video recording was performed under microgravity, terrestrial conditions, and inverted gravity. All the experiments were performed at atmospheric pressure. Our experiments confirm that gravity has a complex influence on laminar and weakly turbulent premixed flames. Gravity causes flame flickering, while under reduced gravity flames are stable and almost not flicker. Based on the experimental data and numerical simulation, a correlation of flickering frequency with different mixture equivalence ratio and gravity is formed.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Microgravity Combustion: Fire in Free Fall, Ross, H.D., Ed., San Diego, CA: Academic, 2001.Google Scholar
- 3.Krivulin, V.N., Kudryavtsev, Ye.A., Baratov, A.N., Pavlova, V.L., Fedosov, L.N., Luzhetskiy, V.K., Shlenov, V.M., and Babkin, V.S., Dokl. Akad. Nauk SSSR, 1979, vol. 247, no. 5, p. 1184.Google Scholar
- 4.Most, J., Most, A., Sussett, A., Baillargeat, J., and Joulain, P., in Proc. 10th Int. Symp. on Applications of Laser Techniques to Fluid Mechanics, Lisbon, 2001.Google Scholar
- 8.Charest, M.R., Groth, C.P., and Gülder, Ö.L., in Proc. 49th AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting Including the New Horizons Forum and Aerospace Exposition, Orlando, FL, 2011, p. 412.Google Scholar
- 19.Bedat, B., Kostiuk, L.W., and Cheng, R.K., in Proc. 3rd Int. Microgravity Combustion Workshop, NASA Lewis Research, Cleveland, OH, 1995, p. 395.Google Scholar
- 25.ZARM Drop Tower Bremen User Manual, ZARM FABmbH University of Bremen, Bremen, 2012.Google Scholar
- 27.Krikunova, A.I., Son, E.E., and Saveliev, A.S., J. Phys.: Conf. Ser., 2016, vol. 774, no. 1, 012087.Google Scholar
- 29.Krikunova, A.I., Son, E.E., Klinkov, K.V., and Eigenbrod, C., Prikl. Fiz., 2017, vol. 3, p. 21.Google Scholar
- 30.Prud’homme, R., Ann. Chim., 1992, vol. 17, no. 1, p. 13.Google Scholar
- 31.Shepherd, I.G., Cheng, R.K., and Day, M.S., The dynamics of flame flicker in conical premixed flames: An experimental and numerical study, in Colloquium 4: Laminar Flames, Lawrence Berkeley Natl. Lab., 2005.Google Scholar