Calculation of the Optical Properties of Quartz Ceramics Based on Data on Its Structure
The optical parameters of quartz ceramics from a previously proposed identification method and simulation using different optical models of the material are compared. The identification method is based on deliberately measuring hemispherical spectral reflectances for layers of different thicknesses and solving the inverse problem using asymptotic formulas. Mathematical models are constructed based on the Mie theory on the assumption of independent scattering of electromagnetic radiation by fragments of the material. The material is considered as a polydisperse packing of spheres, the sizes of which are determined by data on the material structure. Both a grain surrounded by gas and a pore in monolithic material are considered as a scatterer. Data on the material structure were gathered using optical microscopy, static laser scattering, and mercury porosimetry. The best agreement with the results of the identification method is demonstrated by the model of ceramics in the form of a glass monolith with spherical voids. Comparative analysis eliminates uncertainty in the form of the scattering phase function and shows that the scattering is close to isotropic.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Pivinskii, Yu.E. and Suzdal’tsev, E.I., Kvartsevaya keramika i ogneupory (Quartz Ceramics and Refractory Materials), Moscow: Teploenergetik, 2008, vol. 1.Google Scholar
- 2.Howell, J.R., Siegel, R., and Menguc, M.P., Thermal Radiaiton Heat Transfer, Boca Raton, FL: CRC, 2010.Google Scholar
- 10.Zege, E.P., Ivanov, A.P., and Katsev, I.L., Perenos izobrazheniya v rasseivayushchei srede (Image Transfer in a Scattering Medium), Minsk: Nauka i Tekhnika, 1985.Google Scholar
- 12.Mironov, R.A., Zabezhailov, M.O., and Borodai, S.P., Tepl. Protsessy Tekh., 2013, vol. 5, no. 6, p. 262.Google Scholar
- 17.van de Hulst, H.C., Light Scattering by Small Particles, New York: Wiley, 1957.Google Scholar
- 18.Bohren, C. and Huffman, D., Absorption and Scattering of Light by Small Particles, New York: Wiley, 1983.Google Scholar
- 19.Allen, T., Powder Sampling and Particle Size Determination, vol. 1 of Particle Size Measurement, London: Chapman and Hall, 1997.Google Scholar
- 20.Karnaukhov, A.P., Adsorbtsiya. Tekstura dispersnykh i poristykh materialov (Adsorption: Texture of Dispersed and Porous Materials), Novosibirsk: Nauka, 1999. 471 p.Google Scholar
- 22.Voronkova, E.M., Opticheskie materialy dlya infrakrasnoi tekhniki (Optical Materials for Infrared Technology), Moscow: Nauka, 1965.Google Scholar