Regular Variations of Intensity of the Westward Auroral Electrojet according to the Geomagnetic AL Index
Diurnal and seasonal variations of the geomagnetic AL index are studied. It is found in disturbed days that the mode of AL diurnal variation depends on the angle between the Sun–Earth line prolongation in the direction towards the magnetotail and the plane of geomagnetic equator; on quiet days, AL depends on the angle of attack between the geomagnetic axis and the Earth–Sun line. Seasonal AL variations are characterized by annual variations with summer maximum and semiannual variations with equinoctial maxima. It is shown that the semiannual AL variations can be described by a simplified model of plasma convection in the magnetotail based on a plasma electron cooling mechanism.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Danilov, A.A., Statsionarnaya struktura mezhplanetnogo magnitnogo polya i geomagnitnaya aktivnost’ (The Stationary Structure of the Interplanetary Magnetic Field and Geomagnetic Activity), Yakutsk: YaNTs SO RAN, 1993.Google Scholar
- Danilov, A.A. and Sokolov, V.D., Auroral absorption and electric fields in the magnetosphere, Geomagn. Aeron. (Engl. Transl.), 2001, vol. 41, no. 4, pp. 436–444.Google Scholar
- Danilov, A.A., Krymskii, G.F., and Makarov, G.A., Geomagnetic activity as a reflection of processes in the magnetospheric tail:1. The source of diurnal and semiannual variations in geomagnetic activity, Geomagn. Aeron. (Engl. Transl.), 2013, no. 4, pp. 441–447. Geomagnetic Data Service. http://wdc.kugi.kyoto-u.ac.jp/wdc/Sec3.html.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Mishin, V.M., Spokoinye geomagnitnye variatsii i toki v magnitosfere (Quiet Geomagnetic Variations and Currents in the Magnetosphere), Novosibirsk: Nauka, 1976.Google Scholar
- Newell, P.N., Sotirelis, T., Skura, J.P., Meng, C.-I., and Lyatsky, W., Ultraviolet insolation drives seasonal and diurnal space weather variations, J. Geophys. Res., 2002, vol. 107, no. A10, pp. 15-1–15-12. doi 10.1029/2001JA000296Google Scholar
- Shelomentsev, V.V., Modulation of auroral electrojets, in Issledovaniya po geomagnetizmu, aeronomii i fizike Solntsa (Studies on Geomagnetism, Aeronomy, and Solar Physics), Stepanov, V.E., Ed., Moscow: Nauka, 1974, no. 30, pp. 95–106.Google Scholar