Long-Term Trends in the Critical Frequency of the E-layer
- 18 Downloads
A search for trends k(foE) in the critical frequency of the ionospheric E layer at Juliusruh and Slough stations is performed by the method often used by the authors to analyze trends in the F2-layer parameters. It is found that k(foE) could differ in both magnitude and even sign within different time intervals. However, the k(foE) trends have been stably negative over the last two decades for both stations and all months of the year. The k(foE) values averaged over a year are −0.012 and −0.005 MHz per year for Juliusruh and Slough stations, respectively. The method used in the recent paper by Laštovička et al. (2016) to determine foE trends is analyzed, and it is shown that the difference in linear approximation of the dependence of the observed foE values on F10.7 within different time intervals could be interpreted not as the presence of a different foE dependence on the F10.7 index within these intervals but as the presence within them of foE trends that change the slope of the linear approximation.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bilitza, D., International Reference Ionosphere 1990, Greenbelt, Maryland: National Space Science Data Center, 1990, NSSDC/WDC-A-R&S 90-22.Google Scholar
- Danilov, A. D. and Smirnova, N.V., Long-term trends in the ion composition of the E region, Geomagn. Aeron. (Engl. Transl.), 1997, vol. 37, no. 4, pp. 422–425.Google Scholar
- Garcia, R., López-Puertas, M., Funke, B., Kinnison, D.E., Marsh, D.R., Smith, A.K., and González-Galindo, F., On the distribution of CO2 and CO in the mesosphere and lower thermosphere, J. Geophys. Res., 2014, vol. 119, no. 9, pp. 5700–5718.Google Scholar
- Givishvili, G.V. and Leshchenko, L.N., Long-term trends in properties of the midlatitude ionosphere and thermosphere, Dokl. Akad. Nauk, 1993, vol. 333, no. 1, pp. 86–89.Google Scholar
- Mikhailov, A.V., Perrone, L., and Nusinov, A.A., A mechanism of mid-latitude noontime foE long-term variations inferred from European observations, J. Geophys. Res., 2017, vol. 122. doi 10.1002/2017JA023909Google Scholar
- Zhang, S.R. and Holt, J.M., Millstone Hill ISR observations of upper atmospheric long-term changes: Height dependency, J. Geophys. Res., 2011, vol. 116. doi 10.1029/2010JA016414Google Scholar