Variations of Geomagnetic Cosmic Ray Thresholds and Their Latitudinal Behavior in the Period of Solar Disturbance in September 2005
- 6 Downloads
The period of interplanetary, geomagnetic and solar disturbances of September 7–15, 2005, is characterized by two sharp increases of solar wind velocity to 1000 km/s and great Dst variation of the geomagnetic field (~140 nT). The time variations of theoretical and experimental geomagnetic thresholds observed during this strong geomagnetic storm, their connection with solar wind parameters and the Dst index, and the features of latitudinal behavior of geomagnetic thresholds at particular times of the storm were studied. The theoretical geomagnetic thresholds were calculated with cosmic ray particle tracing in the magnetic field of the disturbed magnetosphere described by Ts01 model. The experimental geomagnetic thresholds were specified by spectrographic global survey according to the data of cosmic ray registration by the global station network.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Dorman, L.I., Smirnov, I.S., and Tyasto, M.I., Kosmicheskie luchi v magnitnom pole Zemli (Cosmic Rays in the Earth’s Magnetic Field), Moscow: Nauka, 1971.Google Scholar
- Dorman, L.I., Gushchina, R.T., Shei, M.A., and Smart, D.F., Effektivnye zhestkosti obrezaniya kosmicheskikh luchei (Effective Cosmic Ray Cutoff Rigidities), Moscow: Nauka, 1972.Google Scholar
- Dvornikov, V.M. and Sdobnov, V.E., Variations in the rigidity spectrum and anisotropy of cosmic rays at the period of Forbush effect on 12–25 July, Int. J. Geomagn. Aeron., 2002, vol. 3, no. 3, pp. 217–227.Google Scholar
- Tsyganenko, N.A., A model of the near magnetosphere with a dawn–dusk asymmetry 1. Mathematical structure, J. Geophys. Res., 2002a, vol. 107, no. A8, 1179. doi 10.1029/2001JA000219Google Scholar
- Tsyganenko, N.A., A model of the near magnetosphere with a down–dusk asymmetry: 2. Parameterization and fitting to observations, J. Geophys. Res., 2002b, vol. 107, no. A8, 1176. doi 10.1029/2001JA000220Google Scholar