Optical Phenomena Observed upon Some Launches of Russian Rockets
- 5 Downloads
In this paper, unusual optical phenomena observed in our country and abroad upon launches of Russian rockets are discussed and interpreted: they are regarded as the aftereffects of sunlight scattering by gas-dust clouds created by rocket fuel combustion products in different modes of engine operation. The results of instrumental observations of the clouds can be used to study physical processes in the upper atmosphere.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Chernouss, S.A., Platov, Yu.V., Alpatov, V.V., and Uspensky, M.V., Optical phenomena due to rocket exhaust products in the atmosphere, Geophys. Finland, 2012, vol. 48, nos. 1–2, pp. 65–79.Google Scholar
- Dalin, P., Perminov, V., Pertsev, N., et al., Optical studies of rocket exhaust trails and artificial noctilucent clouds produced by Soyuz rocket launches, J. Geophys. Res.: Atmos., 2013, vol. 118, pp. 7850–7863.Google Scholar
- http://youtube.com/watch?v=q9TlyroKp_E.Google Scholar
- Mezentsev, A., Petrozavodsk today, 2012. http://ptoday.ru/blog/amez/6621/.Google Scholar
- Nikolaishvili, S.Sh., Platov, Yu.V., and Chernous, S.A., Glow of gas–dust cirrostratus clouds due to fluorescence, in Vozdeistvie raketno-kosmicheskoi tekhniki na okruzhayushchuyu sredu (Environmental Impact of Rocket and Space Equipment), Adushkin, V.V., Kozlov, S.I., and Sil’nikov, M.V., Eds., Moscow: GEOS, 2016.Google Scholar
- Oberg, J., Red Star in Orbit, New York: Random House, 1981.Google Scholar
- Platov, Yu.V. and Sokolov, B.A., History of UFO research in the USSR, Vestn. Ross. Akad. Nauk, 2000, vol. 70, no. 6, pp. 507–523.Google Scholar
- Smirnova, N.V. and Kozlov S.I., Impact of solid and liquid rocket fuel combustion products on mesospheric ozone, Cosmic Res., 1997, vol. 35, no. 1, pp. 43–46.Google Scholar
- Spell, T., Estimation of the location, trajectory, size, and altitude of the “Norway Spiral” phenomenon, Spell-Consulting.com, 2009. http://youtube.com/watch?v=q9TlyroKp_E.Google Scholar
- Van de Hulst, H.C., Light Scattering by Small Particles, New York: John Wiley and Sons, 1957; Moscow: Inostrannaya Literatura, 1961.Google Scholar