Ground-based observations and simulation of ionospheric VLF source in experiments on modification of the polar ionosphere
- 15 Downloads
The phase velocities of TE and TEM waves at frequencies of 1017 and 3017 Hz, as well as the effect of precipitations during auroras on the velocities, are estimated in the Earth–ionosphere waveguide on the basis of observations of electromagnetic fields of an ionospheric source in experiments on modification of the lower ionosphere by a modulated high-power short-wave signals performed by the Arctic and Antarctic Research Institute (AARI) at the EISCAT/Heating test bench in October 2016. Probable electron density profiles in the plane-stratified ionosphere are retrieved from the numerical solution of a wave equation, which are used for the calculation of the phase velocities close to measured ones.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bilitza, D., Altadill, D., Zhang, Y., Mertens, C., Truhlik, V., Richards, P., McKinnell, L.-A., and Reinisch, B., The international reference ionosphere 2012—a model of international collaboration, J. Space Weather Space Clim., 2014, vol. 4, no. A07, pp. 1–12. doi 10.1051/swsc/2014004Google Scholar
- Cohen, M.B., Golkowski, M., and Inan, U.S., Orientation of the HAARP ELF ionospheric dipole and the auroral electrojet, Geophys. Res. Lett., 2008, vol. 35, L02806. doi 10.1029/2007GL032424Google Scholar
- Eaton, J.W., Bateman, D., and Hauberg, S., GNU Octave Manual Version 3, UK: Network Theory Limited, 569 p., 2008.Google Scholar
- Fedorenko, Yu., Tereshchenko, E., Pilgaev, S., Grigoriev, V., and Blagoveshchenskaya, N., Polarization of ELF waves generated during “beat-wave” heating experiment near cutoff frequency of the earth–ionosphere waveguide, Radio Sci., 2014, no. 12, pp. 254–264. doi 10.1002/2013RS005336Google Scholar
- Larchenko, A.V., Lebed’, O.M., and Fedorenko, Yu.V., Three-component measurements of the electromagnetic field structure in the VLF and ELF ranges, Radiotekh. Elektron., 2015, vol. 60, no. 8, pp. 793–801.Google Scholar
- Lebed, O.M., Fedorenko, Yu.V., Larchenko, A.V., and Pil’gaev, S.V., Response of the auroral lower ionosphere to solar flares in March 2012 according to ELF observations, Geomagn. Aeron. (Engl. Transl.), 2015, vol. 55, no. 6, pp. 770779.Google Scholar
- Pil’gaev, S.V., Akhmetov, O.I., Filatov, M.V., and Fedorenko, Yu.V., A universal device for GPS data synchronization, PTE Prib. Tekh. Eksp., 2008, no. 3, pp. 175–176.Google Scholar
- Vinogradova, M.B., Rudenko, O.V., and Sukhorukov, A.P., Teoriya voln (Theory of Waves), Moscow: Nauka, 1979.Google Scholar