The Gnevyshev-Ohl rule and its violations
- 51 Downloads
The 22-year cycle in the solar activity known as the even-odd effect is compared with the odd-even order. We find that the grouping into the even-odd pairs is not preferable in comparison to that of odd-even ones. We argue that due to existed relations between any adjacent cycles, combination of solar cycles in pairs according to their numbers is not justified.
KeywordsSolar Cycle Sunspot Number Sunspot Cycle Group Sunspot Number Cycle Intensity
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Gleissberg, W., A long-periodic fluctuation of the sun-spot numbers, Observatory, 1939, vol. 62, pp. 158–159.Google Scholar
- Gleissberg, W., Evidence for a long solar cycle, Observatory, 1945, vol. 66, pp. 123–125.Google Scholar
- Gnevyshev, M.N. and Ohl, A.I., On 22-year cycle of the solar activity, Astronomicheskii Zhurnal, 1948, vol. 25, pp. 18–20.Google Scholar
- Hathaway, D.H., The solar cycle, Living Rev. Solar Phys., 2010, vol. 7, no. 1, p. 65.Google Scholar
- Ogurtsov, M. and Lindholm, M., Statistical effects in the solar activity cycles during AD 1823–1996, ISRN Astron. Astrophys., 2011, vol. 2011, Article ID640817.Google Scholar
- Petrovay, K., Solar cycle prediction, Living Rev. Solar Phys., 2010, vol. 7, no. 6, p. 59.Google Scholar
- Ribes, J.V. and Nesme-Ribes, E., The solar sunspot cycle in the Maunder minimum AD1645 to AD1715, Astron. Astrophys., 1993, vol. 276, pp. 549–563.Google Scholar
- Zolotova, N.V. and Ponyavin, D.I., Enigma of the solar cycle 4 still not resolved, Astrophys. J., 2011, vol. 736, article id. 115 (pp. 5).Google Scholar
- Zolotova, N.V. and Ponyavin, D.I., Reconstruction of magnetic field surges to the poles from sunspot impulses, Proceedings of the International Astronomical Union, IAU Symposium 286, Mandrini, Ch. and Webb, D.F., Eds., Cambridge Univ. Press, 2012, pp. 88–92.Google Scholar
- Zolotova, N.V. and Ponyavin, D.I., On the Gnevyshev-Ohl rule and its violations, Proceedings of the “Solar and solar-terrestrial physics–2014”, Stepanov, A.B. and Nagovitsyn, Ya., Eds., Saint-Petersburg, 2014a, pp. 157–160. (in Russian).Google Scholar