Influence of GPS/GLONASS differential code biases on the determination accuracy of the absolute total electron content in the ionosphere
- 105 Downloads
Systematic error arises when the total electron content (TEC) is estimated with the simultaneous use of phase and code GPS/GLONASS measurements. This is related to the different signal propagation times at L1 and L2 frequencies in the radio frequency path of the transmitting and receiving equipment, the so-called differential code biases. A differential code bias of 1 ns results in an error of ~2.9 TECU when TEC is determined. Differential code bias variations on a long time interval, which were obtained at the CODE laboratory, were analyzed. It has been found that the systematic variation in these biases and considerable seasonal variations apparently caused by the environmental state (temperature and humidity), which sometimes reach 20 TECU (in TEC units), are observed for several stations. The algorithm for determining differential code biases at an individual station and the results of correction for absolute slant TEC are also presented. Presented results show algorithm effectiveness for various geographical regions and solar activity.
KeywordsGlobal Navigation Satellite System Global Navigation Satellite System Total Electron Content Vertical Total Electron Content Differential Code Bias
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Afraimovich, E.L., Astafyeva, E.I., Demyanov, V.V., et al., Review of GPS/GLONASS studies of the ionospheric response to natural and anthropogenic processes and phenomena, J. Space Weather Space Clim., 2013, vol. 3, no. A27. doi 10.1051/swsc/2013049Google Scholar
- Afraimovich, E.L. and Perevalova, N.P., GPS-monitoring verkhnei atmosfery Zemli (GPS-Monitoring of the Earth’s Upper Atmosphere), Irkutsk: GU NTs RVKh VSNTs SO RAMN, 2006.Google Scholar
- Forte, B. and Aquino, M., On the estimate and assessment of the ionospheric effects affecting low frequency radio astronomy measurements, 30th URSI General Assembly and Scientific Symposium, 2011, pp. 1–4.Google Scholar
- Ovodenko, V.B., Trekin, V.V., Korenkova, N.A., and Klimenko, M.V., Investigating range error compensation in UHF radar through IRI-2007 real-time updating: Preliminary results, Adv. Space Res., 2015. doi 10.1016/ jasr.2015.05.017Google Scholar
- Schaer, S., Overview of GNSS biases, International GNSS Service Workshop on GNSS Biases, 2012. http://www. biasws2012unibech/pdf/bws12_1.3.1pdfGoogle Scholar
- Schaer, S., Beutler, G., and Rothacher, M., Mapping and predicting the ionosphere, Proc. IGS AC Workshop, Darmstadt, Germany, February 9–11, 1998, 1998, pp. 307–320.Google Scholar