Stationary longitudinal inhomogeneities in areas of mesospheric clouds according to CIPS/AIM data (June–July)
In this paper, the results of a study of the longitudinal inhomogeneity of areas of the global field of noctilucent clouds in the Northern Hemisphere according to data obtained by the CIPS device of the AIM satellite from 2007 to 2012 are presented. An asymmetry in the longitudinal distribution of these cloud formations has been revealed. The revealed fact is interpreted as evidence of the existence of stationary planetary waves in the polar summer mesosphere.
KeywordsLASP Longitudinal Variation Longitudinal Distribution Global Field Noctilucent Cloud
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Barnett, J.J. and Corney, M., Planetary waves. Climatological distribution, Middle Atmosphere Program. Handbook for MAP. SCOSTEP, Urbana: University of Illinois, 1985, vol. 16, pp. 86.Google Scholar
- Bessonova, T.D., Visible frequency of noctilucent clouds by observations at stations of the USSR hydrometeorological service network from 1957 to 1959, Issledovaniya po klimatologii serebristykh oblakov. Meteorologiya i razdel programm MGG (Studies on Climatology of Noctilucent Clouds. Meteorology and the Section of the IGY (International Geophysical Year) Program, Moscow: AN SSSR, 1963, pp. 23–63.Google Scholar
- LASP. Cloud imaging and particle size instrument. http:// laspcoloradoedu/aim/browse-imagesphp.2014.Google Scholar
- Solodovnik, A.A., Kudabaeva, D.A., Kryuchkov, V.N., and Lazarev, S.V., Longitudinal variations in the distribution of magnetometric detectors: a technique of search and results, Mezhdunar. nauchno-prakt. konf. “Dostizheniya i perspektivy issledovanii nebesnykh tel i Zemli: fundamental’nye, prikladnye i nauchno-metodicheskie aspekty” (Int. Sci.–Tech. Conf. “Advances and Prospects in the Study of Celestial Bodies and the Earth: Basic, Applied, and Methodological Aspects”), Petropavlovsk, 2014, pp. 78–82.Google Scholar
- Stray, N.H., Espy, P.J., Limpasuvan, V., and Hibbins, R.E., Characterisation of quasi-stationary planetary waves in the Northern MLT during summer, J. Atmos. Sol.–Terr. Phys., 2015, vol. 127. doi:10.1016/jjastp.2014.12.003Google Scholar