Variations in the area of the global field of noctilucent clouds of the northern hemisphere in 2007–2012 seasons
- 38 Downloads
Using daily distributions of noctilucent cloud fields obtained for 2007–2012 by the AIM satellite, we analyzed temporal changes in the area of the global field of mesospheric noctilucent clouds. These clouds have been shown to be characterized by some common features that can be approximated mathematically by simple functions reflecting the seasonal course of the temperature and humidity regime of the high-latitude mesosphere, allowing a clear physical interpretation. We discuss the specific features of changes in the cloud field area for individual seasons.
KeywordsNorthern Hemisphere Global Field Local Solar Time Latitudinal Belt Noctilucent Cloud
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bronshten, V.A. and Grishin, N.I., Serebristye oblaka (Noctilucent Clouds), Moscow: Nauka, 1970.Google Scholar
- Bronshten, V.A., Serebristye oblaka i ikh nablyudenie (Noctilucent Clouds and Their Observation), Moscow: Nauka, 1984.Google Scholar
- Gadsden, M. and Schröder, W., The nature of noctilucent clouds, Gerl. Beitr. Geophys., 1989, vol. 98, no. 5, pp. 431–442.Google Scholar
- Kaidalov, O.V., Study of the spatial and temporal evolution of combustion products and emissions of rocket fuel components in the near-Earth space and atmosphere, and assessment of their effect on the processes of mesospheric cloud formation and pollution of the surface atmosphere by the method of physical and mathematical modeling, Kaluzh. Nauchn. Tsentr, no. 6, Kaluga: Poligraf-Inform, 2004.Google Scholar
- Matveev, L.T., Osnovy obshchei meteorologii. Fizika atmosfery (Basics of General Meteorology: Atmospheric Physics), Leningrad: Gidrometeoizdat, 1965.Google Scholar
- Rong, P.P., Russell, J.M., III, Hervig, M.E., and Bailey, S.M., The roles of temperature and water vapor at different stages of the polar mesospheric cloud season, J. Geophys. Res., 2012, vol. 117, no. D4, pp. 1–17. doi 10.1029/2011JD016464Google Scholar
- Solodovnik, A.A. and Kudabaeva, D.A., Meteorology of the troposphere and noctilucent clouds, Proc. of the Int. Conf. “Space for Humanity: Future Outlook”, Astana: 2011, pp. 83–85.Google Scholar