Spatiotemporal sunspot impulses and reversal of the polar magnetic field on the sun
- 50 Downloads
The spatiotemporal organization of sunspots in the form of activity impulses (according to Gnevyshev’s terminology) is considered as a source of poleward magnetic surges of new polarity. Polar fields in the northern and southern hemispheres have been reconstructed from 1875 to 2012. An increase in the tilt angle of magnetic bipoles with latitude is a crucial parameter in the proposed model to reverse the polar field on the Sun. The role of the surface meridional flow forming magnetic surges of new and old polarities is discussed. It is shown that the velocity and the latitudinal profile of the flow influence the modeled polar field.
KeywordsTilt Angle Polar Field Sunspot Group Sunspot Cycle Meridional Flow
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Charbonneau, P., Dynamo models of the solar cycle, Living Rev. Solar Phys., 2010, vol. 7, no. 3, p. 91.Google Scholar
- Hathaway, D.H., The solar cycle, Living Rev. Solar Phys., 2010, vol. 7, no. 1, p. 65.Google Scholar
- Jiang, J., Cameron, R.H., Schmitt, D., and Schüssler, M., Can surface flux transport account for the weak polar field in cycle 23? Space Sci. Rev., 2011, p. 136. doi10.1007/s11214-011-9783-yGoogle Scholar
- Leighton, R.B., Transport of magnetic fields on the Sun, Astrophys. J., 1964, vol. 140, pp. 1540–1562.Google Scholar
- Makarov, V.I. and Makarova, V.V., Polar faculae and sunspot cycles, Solar Phys., 1996, vol. 163, no. 2, pp. 267–289.Google Scholar
- Tang, F., Howard, R., and Adkins, J.M., A statistical study of active regions 1967–1981, Solar Phys., 1984, vol. 91, pp. 75–86.Google Scholar
- Zolotova, N.V. and Ponyavin, D.I., Nature of the unusually long solar cycles, Proc. Int. Astronomical Union. Symposium, Chouldhary, D.P. and Strassmeier, K.G., Eds., Cambridge, 2011, vol. 273, pp. 169–173.Google Scholar
- Zolotova, N.V. and Ponyavin, D.I., Spatial-time clusters of sunspots and solar polar magnetic field reversal, Trudy Vserossiiskoi ezhegodnoi pulkovskoi konferentsii po fizike Solntsa “Solnechnaya i solnechno-zemnaya fizika (Proc. All-Russia Annual Pulkovo Conference on Solar Physics “Solar and Solar-Terrestrial Physics”), 2012a, pp. 47–50.Google Scholar
- Zolotova, N.V. and Ponyavin, D.I., Reconstruction of magnetic field surges to the poles from sunspot impulses, Proc. Int. Astronomical Union. IAU Symposium, Mandrini, C.H. and Webb, D.F., Eds., Cambridge, 2012c, vol. 286, pp. 88–92.Google Scholar