Dependence of the Pc4 magnetic pulsation parameters on the radiated power of the EISCAT HF heating facility
The interaction between the Earth’s ionosphere and magnetosphere in a situation when artificial disturbances are generated in the F region of the auroral ionosphere with the EISCAT/Heating facility is studied. An experiment was performed in the daytime when the facility effective radiated power changed in a stepwise manner. Wavelike disturbances with periods of (130–140) s corresponding to Pc4 pulsations were simultaneously registered by the method of bi-static backscatter and with ground magnetometers. The variations in the Doppler frequency shift were correlated with the changes in the facility power. Incoherent scatter radar measurements at a frequency of 930 MHz (Tromsö) and numerical calculations were used in an analysis. It has been indicated that the ionospheric drift of small-scale artificial ionospheric irregularities was modulated by magnetospheric Alfvén waves. The possible effect of powerful HF radioemission on the Alfvén wave amplitude owing to the modification of the magnetospheric resonator ionospheric edge reflectivity and the generation of an outgoing Alfvén wave above the region where the ionospheric conductivity is locally intensified has been considered.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Blagoveshchenskaya, N.F., Geofizicheskie effekty aktivnykh vozdeistvii v okolozemnom kosmicheskom prostranstve (Geophysical Effects of Active Impacts in the NearEarth Space), St. Petersburg: Gidrometeoizdat, 2001.Google Scholar
- Blagoveshchenskaya, N.F., Borisova, T.D., Kornienko, V.A., Thidé, B., Rietveld, M.T., Kosch, M.J., and Bosinger, T., Phenomena in the Ionosphere-Magnetosphere System Induced by Injection of Powerful HF Radio Waves into Nightside Auroral Ionosphere, Ann. Geophys., 2005, vol. 23, pp. 87–100.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Blagoveshchenskaya, N.F., Carlson, H.C., Kornienko, V.A., Borisova, T.D., Rietveld, M.T., Yeoman, T.K., and Brekke, A., Phenomena Induced by Powerful HF Pumping towards Magnetic Zenith with a Frequency near the F-Region Critical Frequency and the Third Electron Gyro Harmonic Frequency, Ann. Geophys., 2009, vol. 27, pp. 131–145.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Borisova, T.D., Blagoveshchenskaya, N.F., Kornienko, V.A., and Rietveld, M., Characteristics of Pc4-5 Pulsations Obtained by the HF Radiowave Bi-Static Backscatter Method Using the HF EISCAT/Heating Facility and Ground Magnetometers, Geomagn. Aeron., 2011, vol. 51, no. 4, pp. 630–642.Google Scholar
- Frank-Kamenetskii, D.A., Lektsii po fizike plazmy (Plasma Physics Lectures), Moscow: Atomizdat, 1968.Google Scholar
- Gershman, B.N., Erukhimov, L.M., and Yashin, Yu.Ya., Volnovye yavleniya v ionosfere i kosmicheskoi plazme (Wave Phenomena in the Ionosphere and Cosmic Plasma), Moscow: Nauka, 1984.Google Scholar
- Gurevich, A.V. and Shvartsburg, A.B., Nelineinaya teoriya rasprostraneniya radiovoln v ionosfere (Nonlinear Theory of Radiowave Propagation in the Ionosphere), Moscow: Nauka, 1973.Google Scholar
- Kleimenova, N.G., Geomagnetic Pulsations, in Model’ kosmosa: t. 1: Fizicheskie usloviya v kosmicheskom prostranstve (Space Model, vol. 1, Physical Conditions in the Space), Panasyuk, M.I. et al., Eds., 2007, pp. 611–626.Google Scholar
- Kozlovsky, A.E. and Lyatsky, W.B., Alfvén Wave Generation by Disturbance of Ionospheric Conductivity in the Field-Aligned Current Region, J. Geophys. Res., 1997, vol. 102, no. 11, pp. 17 297–17 303.Google Scholar
- Lyatsky, V.B. and Maltsev, Yu.P., Magnitosferno-ionosfernoe vzaimodeistvie (Magnetospheric-Ionospheric Coupling), Moscow: Nauka, 1983.Google Scholar
- Pilipenko, V.A., Resonance Effects of ULF Wave Fields in the near-Earth Space, Extended Abstract of Doctoral (Phys.-Math.) Dissertation, IKI RAN, Moscow, 2006, p. 34, D 002.113.03.Google Scholar
- Uryadov, V.P., Vertogradov, G.G., Vertogradov, V.G., Ponyatov, A.A., and Frolov, V.L., Radar Observations of Artificial Ionospheric Turbulence during a Magnetic Storm, Izv. Vyssh. Uchebn. Zaved., Radiofiz., 2004, vol. 47, no. 9, pp. 722–738.Google Scholar
- Yagova, N.V., Pilipenko, V.A., and Fedorov, E.N., On the effect of the Ionospheric Conductivity on the Parameters of the Midlatitude Pc3–4 Pulsation, Geomagn. Aeron., 1998, vol. 38, no. 2, pp. 67–73 [Geomagn. Aeron. (Engl. transl.), 1998, vol. 38, pp. 186–191].Google Scholar