Flows of Supersonic Underexpanded Jets on the Range of Moderate Reynolds Numbers
- 6 Downloads
The results of an experimental investigation of the gasdynamic structure of supersonic underexpanded air jets flowing out of a sonic nozzle into a low-pressure medium are presented. This setting of the experimentmakes it possible to achieve high values of the nozzle-to-ambient pressure ratio at moderate outflow Reynolds numbers characteristic of underexpanded jets issuing from micronozzles. The data on the supersonic core length, the laminar-turbulent transition location, and the jet flow characteristics are obtained. The results are compared with those obtained in microjets flowing out of sonic nozzles. Emphasis is placed on the earlier discovered effect of inverse transition of a turbulent jet into the laminar flow regime with increase in the Reynolds number.
Key wordssupersonic underexpanded jets modeling of microjets experiments
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 5.K. Teshima and M. Sommerfeld, “Visualization and Numerical Simulation of Supersonic Microjets,” Exp. Phys. 5, 197 (1987).Google Scholar
- 8.T. Yoshimara, Y. Asako, and T. Yamada, “Underexpansion Gaseous Flow at a Straight Micro-Tube Exit,” J. Fluids Eng. 136, 1 (2014).Google Scholar
- 10.V. M. Aniskin, S. G. Mironov, and A. A. Maslov, “Nozzle Size Effect on the Supersonic Microjet Range,” Pisma Zh. Tekhn. Fiz. 37(22), 10 (2011).Google Scholar
- 11.V. Aniskin, A. Maslov, and S. Mironov, “The Structure of Supersonic Two-Dimensional and Axisymmetric Microjets,” Int. J. Microscale Nanoscale Therm. Fluid Transport Phen. 3, 49 (2012).Google Scholar
- 13.V. M. Aniskin, A. A. Maslov, and S. G. Mironov, “Relaminarization in Supersonic Microjets at Low Reynolds Numbers,” Pisma Zh. Tekhn. Fiz. 39 (16), 47 (2013).Google Scholar
- 15.V. Ya. Rudyak, V. M. Aniskin, V. V. Kuznetsov, A. A. Maslov, A. V. Minakov, and S. G. Mironov, Modeling of Microflows and Nanoflows (Novosibirsk, 2014) [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 16.V. M. Aniskin, A. A. Maslov, S. G. Mironov, and I. S. Tsyriul’nikov, “Experimental Investigation of the Structure of Supersonic Plane UnderexpandedMicrojets,” Pisma Zh. Tekhn. Fiz. 41(10), 97 (2015).Google Scholar
- 18.V. I. Pogorelov, “Parameters Determining the Long-Range of a SupersonicGas Jet,” Zh. Tekhn. Fiz. 47, 444 (1977).Google Scholar