Instability of a liquid layer under periodic influence: Falling film in an alternating electric field
- 85 Downloads
The linear analysis of stability of a plane-parallel time-periodic flow is carried out. The numerical method which makes it possible to reduce the spectral problem for the time-dependent Orr–Sommerfeld equation to an algebraic eigenvalue problem is used. The film of viscous conducting liquid which flows down a vertical wall in the normal electric field is considered and parametric resonances are revealed.
Keywordshydrodynamic instability electric field Floquet theory thin films
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.P. L. Kapitsa and S. P. Kapitsa, “Wave Flows of Thin Liquid Layers”, Zh. Eksp. Teor. Fiz. 19, No. 2. pp. 105–120 (1949).Google Scholar
- 6.V. Ya. Shkadov and E. A. Demekhin, “Wave Motions of Liquid Films on a Vertical Surface (Theory for Interpretation of Experiments),” Uspekhi Mekhaniki 4, No. 2, 3–65 (2006).Google Scholar
- 17.S. O. Shiryaeva, N. A. Petrushov, and A. I. Grigor’ev, ”On the Equilibrium Shape of a Heavily Charged Drop Suspended in a Weak Electrostatic Field,” Technical Physics 60, No. 8, 1136–1143 (2015).Google Scholar
- 22.V. A. Saranin, Stability of Equilibrium, Charging, Convection, and Interaction of Liquid Masses in Electric Fields (Research Center “Regular and Chaotic Dynamics,” Moscow, Izhevsk, 2009) [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 24.V. A. Yakubovich and V. M. Starzhinskii, Linear Differential Equations with Periodic Coefficients and their Applications (Nauka, Moscow, 1972) [in Russian].Google Scholar