Modelling of characteristics of a crater emerged from a surface explosion on the soil
- 111 Downloads
The paper presents empirical and numerical models of characteristics of a crater emerged from a surface explosion of a small TNT charge on the soil. The proposed models can be useful for estimation of the explosive mass based on the crater characteristics. The models show satisfactory fitting with the experimental results and confirm the hypothesis that the crater characteristics depend on the explosive mass and contact area between the charge and the soil surface. Two equations for estimation of the explosive mass based on the crater volume are proposed.
Keywordssurface explosion soil crater modelling explosive mass
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.S. Jaramaz, Physics of Explosion (University of Belgrade, Mechanical Engineering Faculty, Belgrade, 1997).Google Scholar
- 4.H. Draganić and V. Sigmund, “Blast Loading on Structures,” Tech. Gazette 19 (3), 643–652 (2012).Google Scholar
- 5.D. Ambrosini, B. Luccioni, “Craters Produced by Explosions above the Soil Surface,” Mec´anica Computacional 27, 2253–2266 (2007).Google Scholar
- 7.I. Bjelovuk, “Analysis of the Traces after the Explosion of an Unknown Device,” Security 47 (2), 302–310 (2005) [in Serbian].Google Scholar
- 9.V. V. Adushkin and B. D. Khristoforov, “Craters of Large-Scale Surface Explosions,” Fiz. Goreniya Vzryva 40 (6), 71–75 (2004) [Combust., Expl., Shock Waves 40 (6), 674–678 (2004)].Google Scholar
- 12.R. Schmidt and K. Housen, “Problem Solving with Dimensional Analysis,” The Ind. Physicist. 1 (1), 21–24 (1995). http://www.aip.org/tip/INPHFA/vol-1/iss- 1/ p21.pdf.Google Scholar
- 13.Ma Qin-youn and Cai Mei-feng, “Determination of Similarity of Explosives for a Model Experiment,” Fiz. Goreniya Vzryva 39 (5), 133–137 (2003) [Combust., Expl., Shock Waves 39 (5), 606–610 (2003)].Google Scholar
- 14.T. Ngo, P. Mendis, A. Gupta, and J. Ramsay, “Blast Loading and Blast Effects on Structures—An Overview,” Electron. J. Struct. Eng., Special Issue: Loading on Structures, 76–91 (2007). http://www.ejse.org/Archives/Fulltext/2007/Special/ 200707.pdf.Google Scholar
- 15.P. Cooper, Explosives Engineering (Willey-VCH, New York, 1996).Google Scholar
- 16.F. Giordano, M. Weir, and W. Fox, A First Course in Mathematical Modeling (Thomson Learning Asia and China Machine Press, 2003).Google Scholar
- 17.N. M. Nagy, E. A. Eltehawy, H. M. Elhanafy, and A. Eldesouky, “Numerical Modelling of Geometrical Analysis for Underground Structures,” in 13th Int. Conf. on Aerospace Sci. Aviat. Technol., ASAT-13 (2009). http://www.mtc.edu.eg/asat13/pdf/CV22.pdf.Google Scholar