Selecting an optimal model for forecasting the volumes of railway goods transportation
- 38 Downloads
Consideration was given to selection of an optimal model of short-term forecasting of the volumes of railway transport from the historical and exogenous time series. The historical data carry information about the transportation volumes of various goods between pairs of stations. It was assumed that the result of selecting an optimal model depends on the level of aggregation in the types of goods, departure and destination points, and time. Considered were the models of vector autoregression, integrated model of the autoregressive moving average, and a nonparametric model of histogram forecasting. Criteria for comparison of the forecasts on the basis of distances between the errors of model forecasts were proposed. They are used to analyze the models with the aim of determining the admissible requests for forecast, the actual forecast depth included.
Key wordstime series forecast cargo railway transportation selection of the forecast model
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Tereshina, N.P., Galaburda, V.G., Tokarev, V.A., et al., Ekonomika zheleznodorozhnogo transporta. Uch. dlya vuzov zh.-d. transporta (Economics of the Railway Transport. Textbook for Institutes), Moscow: UMTS ZHDT, 2008.Google Scholar
- 2.Chatfield, C., Time Series Forecasting, London: Chapman, 2001.Google Scholar
- 10.Morgan, B.J.T., Applied Stochastic Modeling, London: Chapman, 2008, 2nd ed.Google Scholar
- 13.Valkov, A.S., Kozhanov, E.M., Medvednikova, M.M., et al., Nonparametric Forecasting of Railroad Stations Occupancy According To Historical Data, Mashinnoe Obuchen. Anal. Dannykh, 2012, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 448–465.Google Scholar
- 15.Roopaei, M., Zolghadri, M., and Emadi, A., Economical Forecasting by Exogenous Variables, IEEE Int. Conf. Fuzzy Syst., 2008, pp. 1491–1495.Google Scholar
- 22.Chernykh, V.Y. and Stenina, M.M., Forecasting Nonstationary Time Series under Asymmetric Loss, Mashinnoe Obuchen. Anal. Dannykh 2015, vol. 1, no. 14, pp. 1893–1909.Google Scholar
- 25.Bowerman, B.L. and O’Connel, R.T., Forecasting and Time Series. An Applied Approach, Belmont, CA: Duxbury Press, 1993, 3rd ed.Google Scholar