Seasonal Variability and Hydrodynamic Regimes of the Novaya Zemlya Bora
- 10 Downloads
The features of bora formation in the region of Novaya Zemlya surrounded by the Barents and Kara seas, differing in hydrometeorological conditions, are considered. The annual course of average magnitude of buoyancy frequency estimation at the points of the Barents and Kara seas has been constructed. The necessary conditions of bora development in the winter and summer periods are considered. The value of Froude number Fr is used as the main criterion. The statistics of bora cases made on the basis of joint distributions of values of buoyancy frequency and wind speed is given. Results of numerical simulations using the WRF-ARW model for three (small, intermediate, and large) values of Froude number Fr are given. The features of the formation of bora hydrodynamic characteristics for cases conventionally referred to shallow and deep bora types are considered. Estimations of orographic drag and its separate components are given.
Keywords:Novaya Zemlya bora reanalysis WRF-ARW model buoyancy frequency Froude number orographic drag
This study was carried out as part of the governmental quota, project no. 0827-2018-0001.
- 1.A. Gill, Atmosphere–Ocean Dynamics, Vol. 1 (Academic, London, 1982; Mir, Moscow, 1986).Google Scholar
- 3.The Novorossiysk Bora, Ed. by A. M. Gusev (Morskoi Girofiz. Inst. AN SSSR, 1959) [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 22.W. C. Skamarock, J. B. Klemp, J. Dudhia, et al., A Description of the Advanced Research WRF Version 3, NCAR Tech. Note NCAR/TN-475+STR (NCAR, 2008).Google Scholar
- 25.R. B. Smith, “Hydrostatic airflow over mountains,” Adv. Geophys. 31, 2–41 (1989).Google Scholar
- 26.R. B. Smith and J. Sun, “Generalized hydraulic solutions pertaining to severe downslope wind,” J. Atmos. Sci. 44, 2834–2939 (1987).Google Scholar