Automatic Calculation of Ice Drift Based on AMSR Data
- 12 Downloads
The results of applying a new method for the automatic calculation of ice drift based on the sequence of Advanced Microwave Scanning Radiometer (AMSR) images are considered. The method is analogous to the cross-correlation method but uses other ways to track template similarity and a new vector rejection criterion. Ice-concentration maps constructed using the ARTIST Sea Ice (ASI) algorithm (University of Bremen) based on data from 89 GHz spectral channels are used as images. While highly accurate at calculating ice drift, the new method has made it possible to reduce the template size, which makes it possible to obtain more detailed drift maps. Even in the case of a template linear size of 50–70 km, the ice-drift calculation accuracy is within 5 cm/s and method informativeness (the proportion of constructed vectors and vectors after rejection) is 60–70%. The method shows higher efficiency if the brightness mismatch is used as a measure of similarity between two templates instead of the correlation coefficient.
Keywordsice-drift automatic calculation AMSR
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Aleksanin, A.I., Aleksanina, M.G., and Karnatskii, A.Yu., Automatic calculation of ice field shift rates, Sovrem. Probl. Distantsionnogo Zondirovaniya Zemli Kosmosa, 2011, vol. 8, no. 2, pp. 9–17.Google Scholar
- Aleksanin, A.I., Aleksanina, M.G., and Karnatskii, A.Yu., Automatic calculation of velocities of oceanic surface currents according to satellite image sequences, Sovrem. Probl. Distantsionnogo Zondirovaniya Zemli Kosmosa, 2013, vol. 10, no. 2, pp. 131–142.Google Scholar
- Kamenkovich, V.M., Koshlyakov, M.N., and Monin, A.S., Sinopticheskie vikhri v okeane (Synoptic Eddies in the Ocean) Leningrad: Gidrometeoizdat, 1987.Google Scholar
- Maslanik, J., Agnew, T., Drinkwater, M., Emery, W., Fowler, C., Kwok, R., and Liu, A., Summary of icemotion mapping using passive microwave data, National Snow and Ice Data Center (NSIDC) Special Publication 8, November 1998. http://nsidc.org/pubs/special/nsidc_special_report_8.pdf.Google Scholar
- Sharkov, E.A., Radioteplovoe distantsionnoe zondirovanie Zemli: fizicheskie osnovy (Radiothermal Remote Sensing of the Earth: Physical Bases), vol. 1, Moscow: IKI RAN, 2014.Google Scholar