Analysis of Capabilities for Satellite Monitoring of Atmospheric Gaseous Composition Using IRFS-2 Instrument
Capabilities of the total column monitoring of different minor gaseous compounds of the atmosphere with the satellite IRFS-2 Fourier interferometer have been studied. The possibilities of determining the СО2, О3, СH4, HNO3, N2O, CH3OH, HCFC-22, CFC-11, CFC-12, PAN, and ССl4 total columns have been investigated on the basis of line-by-line calculations of the forward problem operator and calculation of error matrices by the optimal estimation method. It has been shown that the IRFS-2 device could be used to measure the total columns of СО2, О3, N2O, СH4, and HNO3. In the information-gathering mode, it is also possible to retrieve the CH3OH, HCFC-22, CFC-11, CFC-12, PAN, and ССl4 total columns due to the suppression of random measurement errors.
Keywordstrace atmospheric gases remote sensing of the atmosphere Fourier interferometry atmospheric composition
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Clough, S.A., Shephard, M.W., Mlawer, E.J., Delamere, J.S., Iacono, M.J., Cady-Pereira, K., Boukabara, S., and Brown, P.D., Atmospheric radiative transfer modeling: A summary of the AER codes, Short Communication, J. Quant. Spectrosc. Radiat. Transfer, 2005, no. 91, pp. 233–244.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Polyakov, A.V., Timofeev, Yu.M., and Uspenskii, A.B., Temperature–humidity sounding of the atmosphere from data of satellite IR sounders with high spectral resolution (IRFS-2), Issled. Zemli Kosmosa, 2009, no. 5, pp. 3–10.Google Scholar
- Polyakov, A.V., Timofeev, Yu.M., and Uspenskii, A.B., Possibilities for determining the content of ozone and trace gases from data of satellite IR sounders with high spectral resolution (IRFS-2), Issled. Zemli Kosmosa, 2010, no. 3, pp. 3–11.Google Scholar
- Rodgers, C.D., Inverse Methods for Atmospheric Sounding. Theory and Practice, vol. 2, Singapore: World Scientific, 2000.Google Scholar
- Timofeev, Yu.M., Satellite methods for studying the gas composition of the atmosphere, Izv. Akad. Nauk: Fiz. Atmos. Okeana, 1989, vol. 25, no. 5, pp. 451–472.Google Scholar
- Turchin, V.F., Kozlov, V.P., and Malkevich, M.S., The use of mathematical-statistics methods in the solution of incorrectly posed problems, Phys.-Usp., 1971, vol. 13, no. 6, pp. 681–703.Google Scholar
- WMO (World Meteorological Organization). Scientific Assessment of Ozone Depletion: 2006, Global Ozone Research and Monitoring Project, Rep. no. 50, Geneva, Switzerland, 2007.Google Scholar
- Zavelevich, F.S., Golovin, Yu.M., and Desyatov, A.V., Technological model of the on-board Fourier spectrometer IKFS-2 for temperature-humidity probing of the atmosphere, Sovrem. Probl. Distantsionnogo Zondirovaniya Zemli Kosmosa, 2009, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 259–267.Google Scholar