Transient Atmospheric Events Measured by Detectors on the Vernov Satellite
In this paper, data obtained by the Vernov satellite are discussed in comparison with the data obtained by Universitetsky–Tatiana-1, 2 satellites. The advanced instrumentation onboard the Vernov satellite improved the capabilities of the data-transmission system, providing an opportunity to acquire more detailed information on transient atmospheric events (TAEs), including a wider range of TAE photon numbers (event brightness) down to lower photon numbers, the opportunity to observe the events in ultraviolet range without the considerable inclusion of red–infrared photons (which indicates the substantial contribution of electric discharges, lightning precursors, at the altitudes of thunderstorm clouds), and the observation of TAE series at a rate of about 10–100 occurrences per second with a period from tens of seconds to several minutes.
Keywordstransient atmospheric events artificial Earth satellites ultraviolet and red glow ranges map of atmospheric transients
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Garipov, G.K., Khrenov, B.A., Panasyuk, M.I., Tulupov, V.I., Shirokov, A.V., Yashin, I.V., and Salazar, H., UV radiation from the atmosphere: Results of the MSU “Tatiana” satellite measurements, Astropart. Phys., 2005, no. 24, nos. 4–5, pp. 400–408.Google Scholar
- Garipov, G.K., Panasyuk, M.I., Rubinshtein, I.A., Tulupov, V.I., Khrenov, B.A., Shirokov, A.V., Yashin, I.V., and Salazar, H., Ultraviolet radiation detector of the MSU research educational microsatellite Universitetskii-Tat’yana, Instrum. Exp. Tech., 2006, vol. 49, no. 1, pp. 126–131.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Garipov, G.K., Khrenov, B.A., Klimov, P.A., Klimenko, V.V., Mareev, E.A., Martines, O., Mendoza, E., Morozenko, V.S., Panasyuk, M.I., Park, I.H., Ponce, E., Rivera, L., Salazar, H., Tulupov, V.I., Vedenkin, N.N., and Yashin, I.V., Global transients in ultraviolet and red-infrared ranges from data of Universitetsky-Tatiana-2 satellite, J. Geophys. Res., 2013, vol. 118, no. 2, pp. 370–379. doi 10.1029/2012JD017501Google Scholar
- Garipov, G., Chilingarian, A., Karapetyan, T., et al., Results of observations of UV and IR emissions from lightning discharges at Aragats cosmic station, in Proceedings of the International Symposium Thunderstorms and Elementary Particle Acceleration (TEPA-2015), Chilingarian, A., Ed., Yerevan Physics Institute, 2015, pp. 58–63.Google Scholar
- Ricci, M., Casolino, M., Klimov, P., the JEM-EUSO collaboration, Mini-EUSO: a pathfinder for JEMEUSO to measure Earth’s UV background from the ISS, in Proceedings of the 34th International Cosmic Ray Conference (ICRC2015), The Hague, 2015, id 599.Google Scholar
- Sharakin, S.A., Garipov, G., Khrenov, B., et al., Spectroscopic measurements of transient luminous events. Current status of problem and detectors developments in SINP MSU, in Abstracts of the International Symposium Thunderstorms and Elementary Particle Acceleration (TEPA-2013), Cosmic Ray Division, Yerevan Physics Institute, 2013, p. 43.Google Scholar