Polarization nonlinear optics of quadratically nonlinear azopolymers
- 39 Downloads
The polarization properties of second harmonic and sum-frequency signals generated by femtosecond laser pulses in films of polymers containing covalent groups of an azobenzothiazole chromophore polarized by an external electric field are investigated. It is shown that the methods of polarization nonlinear optics make it possible to determine the structure of oriented molecular dipoles and reveal important properties of the motion of collectivized π electrons in organic molecules with strong optical nonlinearities. The polarization measurements show that the tensor of quadratic nonlinear optical susceptibility of chromophore fragments oriented by an external field in macromolecules of the noted azopolymers has a degenerate form. This is indicative of a predominantly one-dimensional character of motion of collectivized π electrons along an extended group of atoms in such molecules.
KeywordsLaser Pulse Macromolecule External Field Femtosecond Laser Nonlinear Optic
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.P. N. Prasad and D. J. Williams, Introduction to Nonlinear Optical Effects in Molecules and Polymers (Wiley, New York, 1991).Google Scholar
- 2.Organic Thin Films for Waveguiding Nonlinear Optics, Ed. by F. Kajzar and J. D. Swalen (Gordon and Breach, Amsterdam, 1996), p. 137.Google Scholar
- 3.Nonlinear Optical Properties of Organic Molecules and Crystals, Ed. by D. S. Chemla and J. Zyss (Academic Press, Orlando, 1987).Google Scholar
- 5.Polymers for Electronic and Photonic Applications, Ed. by C. Wong (Academic Press, Boston, 1993), p. 507.Google Scholar
- 7.Nonlinear Optics of Organic Molecules and Polymers, Ed. by H. S. Nalwa and S. Miyata (CRC Press, Boca Raton, Fla., 1997).Google Scholar
- 10.A. A. Ivanov, M. V. Alfimov, and A. M. Zheltikov, Usp. Fiz. Nauk 174(7) (2004) [Phys. Usp. 174 (7), 743 (2004)].Google Scholar
- 14.Y. R. Shen, The Principles of Nonlinear Optics (Wiley, New York, 1984; Nauka, Moscow, 1989).Google Scholar
- 15.Yu. I. Sirotin and M. P. Shaskolskaya, Fundamentals of Crystal Physics (Nauka, Moscow, 1975; Mir, Moscow, 1982).Google Scholar