Plasma oscillations in two-dimensional semiconductor superstructures in the presence of a high electric field
- 50 Downloads
The effect of a high constant electric field on plasma oscillations in the two-dimensional electron gas of a semiconductor with a superstructure was studied taking into account the Umklapp processes. A dispersion relation for the plasma-oscillation frequency ω(k) was derived for high temperatures (≪, where Δ is the conduction miniband width and T is the temperature in energy units). The plasmon frequency in a high electric field is shown to oscillate as the electric field strength and the wave number k vary. For arbitrary values of k, the spectrum is periodic with a period of 2π/d. Numerical estimates show that the oscillations may manifest themselves at electric field strengths higher than 3×103 V/cm.
KeywordsField Strength Dispersion Relation Magnetic Material Electromagnetism Numerical Estimate
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.G. M. Gusev, Z. D. Kvon, V. B. Besman, et al., Fiz. Tekh. Poluprovodn. (St. Petersburg) 26(3), 539 (1992) [Sov. Phys. Semicond. 26, 304 (1992)].Google Scholar
- 3.D. Ferry, L. Akers, and E. Greeneich, Ultra-Large-Scale Integrated Microelectronics (Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, 1988; Mir, Moscow. 1991).Google Scholar
- 4.S. V. Kryuchkov and A. I. Shapovalov, Fiz. Tverd. Tela (St. Petersburg) 39(8), 1470 (1997) [Phys. Solid State 39, 1305 (1997)].Google Scholar
- 5.S. Yu. Glazov and S. V. Kryuchkov, Fiz. Tekh. Poluprovodn. (St. Petersburg) 34(7), 835 (2000) [Semiconductors 34, 807 (2000)].Google Scholar
- 6.V. A. Yakovlev, Fiz. Tverd. Tela (Leningrad) 3(7), 1983 (1961) [Sov. Phys. Solid State 3, 1442 (1962)].Google Scholar
- 7.É. M. Épshtein, Fiz. Tverd. Tela (Leningrad) 21(6), 1719 (1979) [Sov. Phys. Solid State 21, 986 (1979)].Google Scholar