Spatial Development Strategy of Russia: Expectations and Realities
- 25 Downloads
The paper presents the position of the Institute of Economics and Industrial Engineering, Siberian Branch, Russian Academy of Sciences, on the elaboration the Spatial Development Strategy of the Russian Federation. It is shown that in the formation of conceptual approaches to developing the strategy, there was a fundamental change in its priorities, focus, and implementation mechanisms. Whereas the first version of the strategy concept contained a truly progressive vision of the problems, challenges, priorities, possible scenarios of the country’s spatial development, and mechanisms for implementing the strategy, with each subsequent workflow step, these progressive approaches were lost. It is shown that, although the Spatial Development Strategy of the Russian Federation for the period up to 2025 adopted in early 2019 partly took into account comments and suggestions, it nevertheless remained very vulnerable to criticism. The article considers conceptual defects in the Spatial Development Strategy of the Russian Federation, such as ignorance of new trends, challenges, and threats arising in the Russian economic space; the dominance of the idea of allocation of funds to implement the strategy only through the development of urban agglomerations, neglecting the tasks of ensuring social justice and supporting the human potential of Russian society, ensuring the environmental safety of business operations, and life of the population in particular territories, etc.
KeywordsRussia spatial development strategy economic space regional policy interregional disparities regional connectivity
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Federal Law no. 172-FZ of June 28, 2014 “On strategic planning in Russian Federation.” http://www.consultant.ru/document/consdocLAW164841/. Accessed January 10, 2018.
- 2.Draft of the Spatial Development Strategy of Russian Federation until 2015. http://os.economy.gov.ru/documents/11006/0/ии+на+период+до+2025+года/720a4879-027b-497a-aef0-9f37f02c03f4. Accessed October 15, 2017.Google Scholar
- 4.Mikheeva, N.N., Suvorov, A.V., Shirov, A.A., et al., Regional’nye aspekty dolgosrochnoi ekonomicheskoi politiki: Nauchnyi doklad (Regional Aspects of Long-Term Economic Policy: Scientific Report), Moscow: Mezhdunarodnye Otnosheniya, 2018.Google Scholar
- 5.A draft of the Concept of the Spatial Development Strategy of Russia until 2030. http://xn-7sbbhnbqial1ebd4mma.xn-p1ai/uploadedFiles/files/KontseptsiyaSPR.pdf. Accessed December 23, 2017.
- 6.The Concept of the Spatial Development Strategy of Russia until 2025. Approved by the decision of the Deputy Prime Minister of Russian Federation D.N. Kozak. http://src-sakha.ru/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/170522Kontseptsiya-SPR-RFKozak2.pdf/. Accessed October 15, 2017.
- 7.Kolomak, E.A., Resource of urbanization in Russia, Prostranstvennaya Ekon., 2015, no. 4, pp. 59–74.Google Scholar
- 8.Mel’nikova, L.V., Sizes of cities, efficiency and economic growth, EKO, 2017, no. 7, pp. 5–19.Google Scholar
- 9.Decree of the Government of the Russian Federation no. 870 of August 20, 2015 “On the content, development, and approval of the spatial development strategy of Russian Federation, monitoring and implementation control.” http://economy.gov.ru/minec/activity/sections/strategicplanning/regulation/201511136. Accessed February 2, 2018.
- 10.Not tested by space. http://expert.ru/expert/2018/36/ne-proshli-ispyitaniya-prostranstvom/. Accessed December 25, 2018.
- 11.Roads for roads. http://expert.ru/expert/2018/36/dorogi-radi-dorog/. Accessed January 1, 2019.
- 12.Gigantomania and claustrophobia. http://expert.ru/expert/2018/36/gigantomaniya-s-klaustrofobiej/. Accessed December 10, 2018.
- 13.On the Adoption of the Spatial Development Strategy of the Russian Federation until 2025. http://government.ru/docs/35733/. Accessed March 5, 2019.
- 14.Forgiving those to whom we owe: Chechnya was written off debts for gas. https://www.gazeta.ru/business/2019/01/18/12132955.shtml. Accessed January 25, 2019.
- 15.Grozny residents were forgiven nine billion debt for gas: Chechnya has confused in dates and amounts when the other regions asked the same. https://meduza.io/feature/2019/01/22/zhitelyam-groznogo-prostili-devyat-milliardov-dolga-za-gaz-kogda-o-takom-zhe-spisanii-poprosili-drugie-regiony-v-chechne-nachali-putatsya-v-datah-i-summah. Accessed January 25, 2019.