Integral Diagnostics of Sea Water Quality with the Use of Phyto- and Zooplankton
The article presents the integral diagnostics of sea water quality via biological testing on the example of the Tyulenii site. It is based on the guidelines of the Russian Register of Hydraulic Structures and the State Water Cadastre of the Ministry of Natural Resources of Russia, as well as marine toxicological biotests from the perennial experimental studies of the All-Russia Research Institute of Fisheries and Oceanography (VNIRO) on the problem of water pollution and other data that made it possible to identify the characteristics of hydrobionts’ reaction to toxic impurities. The experimental part of the research was carried out on the culture of the marine unicellular algae Phaeodactylum tricornutum Bohlin on the plankton crustaceans Artemia salina L. Comparative analysis of research in 2001–2006 shows no acute toxic effect on the test object of zooplankton and phytoplankton. Over the course of the study period, we managed to isolate the spring of 2002, when the average level of water toxicity was recorded as the lowest during the five years of research. From the results it follows that the average values of waters toxicity do not undergo significant changes and are at the same level.
Keywords:Caspian Sea Tyulenii site biotesting toxicity level test object microalgae zooplankton
COMPLIANCE WITH ETHICAL STANDARDS
Conflict of interest. The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
Statement on the welfare of animals. This article does not contain any studies involving animals performed by any of the authors.
- 1.Abdurakhmanov, G.M., Karpyuk, M.I., Morozov, B.N., and Puzachenko, Yu.G., Sovremennoe sostoyanie i factory, opredelyayushchie biologicheskoe i landshaftnoe raznoobrazie Volzhsko-Kaspiiskogo regiona Rossii (Modern State and Factors Determining Biological and Landscape Diversity of Volga-Caspian Region of Russia), Moscow: Nauka, 2002.Google Scholar
- 2.Abdurakhmanov, G.M., Gadzhiev, A.A., Shikhshabekov, M.M., and Mungiev, A.A., Analiz ekologicheskogo sostoyaniya Srednego Kaspiya i problema vosproizvodstva ryb (Analysis of Ecological State of Central Caspian Sea and a Problem of Fish Reproduction), Moscow: Nauka, 2003.Google Scholar
- 3.Abdurakhmanov, G.M., Abdusamadov, A.S., and Karpyuk, M.I., Sovremennoe sostoyanie ekologo-ekonomicheskie perspektivy razvitiya rybnogo khozyaistva v Zapadno-Kaspiiskom regione Rossii (Modern State of Ecological and Economic Prospects of Development of Fishery in West Caspian Region of Russia), Moscow: Nauka, 2004.Google Scholar
- 4.Abdurakhmanov, G.M., Gadzhiev, A.A., and Gad-zhiev, Akh.A., Poiskovoe burenie skvazhiny no. 1 v glubokovodnoi chasti Srednego Kaspiya—Kompleksnaya otsenka i analiz sostoyaniya fitoplanktona fluorestsentnym metodami analiza kak ob”ekt antropogennogo vozdeistviya (Exploration Drilling of Well No. 1 in Abyssal Area of Central Caspian Region— Complex Evaluation and Analysis of Phytoplankton by Fluorescent Analysis as an Object of Anthropogenic Load), Saarbrucken: LAP Lambert Academic, 2011.Google Scholar
- 5.Metodicheskie ukazaniya po morskim toksikologicheskim bioresursam (Practical Manual on Marine toxicological Bioresources), Moscow: VNIRO, 1978.Google Scholar
- 6.Rukovodstvo po opredeleniyu metodom biotestirovaniya toksichnykh vod, donnykh otlozhenii, zagryaznyayushchikh veshchestv v burovykh rastvorakh (Manual for Analysis of Toxic Waters, Bottom Deposits, and Pollutants in Drilling Solutions by Biotesting Method), Moscow: Priroda, 2002.Google Scholar
- 7.Zhmur, N.S. and Orlova, T.L., Metodika opredeleniya toksichnosti vod, vodnykh vytyazhek iz pochv osadkov stochnykh vod i otkhodov po izmeneniyu urovnya fluorestsentsii khlorofilla i chislennosti kletok vodoroslei (A Method for Analysis of Water Toxicity, Water Extracts of Sewage Sludges from Soils, and Wastes by Fluorescence of Chlorophyll and Number of Algae Cells), Moscow: Akvaros, 2001.Google Scholar